Do You Even Lift (Engines)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do You Even Lift (Engines)?

Today, we return to the Lamborghini Murciélago clutch replacement. It’s time to do some lifting of the motor variety.

In the last blog post for this job, we highlighted the steps we took to disconnect the motor from the car’s body in preparation for removal. You see, the clutch on a Murciélago V12 is situated between the transmission and the motor, like most every other motor out there. However, thanks to the Murciélago’s motor position, that clutch location is somewhere in the middle of the vehicle, and the engine must be removed to access it. With most everything disconnected from the vehicle, we set about disconnecting the motor from the transmission. We unbolted the axles from the rear differential, as well as unbolting the torque tube that transfers power to the front wheels. This would give us enough room to slide the transmission away from the motor, permitting its egress.

From there, we removed the bellhousing bolts (some of them were right up against the firewall — oh, the joy) and hooked up the engine crane. It’s the same style of crane that the Lamborghini dealers use, mostly because it’s one of the few that are large enough to reach into the middle of the Murciélago. After attaching the chains to the correct points on the motor, which are very visible, almost as if Lamborghini knew you’d be doing this eventually. We slid the motor backwards and began removing it.

Now, we only had to lift it a couple feet up and away from the car, as the clutch is easily serviceable once you actually get to the damn thing. Now that we have access to it, we removed the old rusted one (surface rust is common on most steel components that come in contact with moisture — take a look at your brake rotors after a rainy night on the driveway) and inspected the throwout bearing. The customer declined to replace it, so we won’t be showing you that job, sadly.

Seeing as how we were replacing the plugs and coilpacks to fight off a misfire issue, we went about replacing those when the motor was up in the air. Simply put, it was much easier to reach everything at this point.

With the coils and plugs replaced, it was time to refocus our attention on the clutch. After removing the old unit, we bolted in the new one. Clutches aren’t really that tough, it’s the access that kills you with this one. As we mentioned in the previous posts, we’ll be replacing the OEM clutch with an upgraded unit from Exotic Clutch Technologies. Their Murciélago upgrade kit comes with a kevlar-based friction material with up to 300% the lasting power of the OEM setup. That means this clutch should get roughly 100 miles before it needs replacement. We’re kidding, obviously, but supercar clutches tend to burn up much faster than lower-powered offerings, so longevity is clutch. Pun totally intended.

That’s all for today. Check back tomorrow for more shop shenanigans! In the meantime, if you’re in Chicago, enjoy this 60-degree weather for the one day we’ll have it.
    Last edited by FluidMotorUnion; 01-29-2013, 06:13 PM.

www.fluidmotorunion.com
    www.stanceworks.com

Originally posted by Oxer
    I'm pretty sure I will molest any exhaust systems you leave lying around

I assume the throwout bearing is a concentric slave cylinder? If so, I don't get why the owner wouldn't have it replaced, if it were to start leaking then you're doing the same job again. Why not just replace it now for some peace off mind? People are confusing.
    Originally posted by MommysLittleMonster
    Internet high five for you.

Comment

Originally posted by nellydragracer View Post
      I assume the throwout bearing is a concentric slave cylinder? If so, I don't get why the owner wouldn't have it replaced, if it were to start leaking then you're doing the same job again. Why not just replace it now for some peace off mind? People are confusing.
      Agreed.

They chose not to incur the extra labor hours involved in the job. They're a dealership, so it makes sense that they're trying to maximize the profit potential of the vehicle. "Let the new owner deal with it" is most likely their mantra.

www.fluidmotorunion.com
      www.stanceworks.com

Comment

A dealer putting in a greasy clutch?

Amazed.

In all honesty, I am not jealous of your having to replace things on Lambos. With picky customers and even worse access to parts in the vehicle, I'm happy to stay a GM tech.

Originally posted by Kielan
        Well dip me in shit and roll me in breadcrumbs...

Comment

that looks like fun. (seriously)
          -FREEDOM- is cruisin at 80, windows down and listening to the perfect song-thinking "this is it"
          -The Beauty in the Tragedy-
          MECHANIC SMASH!!- (you all know you do it)
          Got Drop??

Comment

Originally posted by HooWybrow View Post
            A dealer putting in a greasy clutch?

Amazed.

In all honesty, I am not jealous of your having to replace things on Lambos. With picky customers and even worse access to parts in the vehicle, I'm happy to stay a GM tech.
            Surprisingly, aside from the lack of throwout bearing replacement, the dealer-owners of the Murciélago have been really cool about everything.

Access to parts (both the buying of OEM parts and the actual deconstruction required to replace them) is a bit of a pain, you're totally right. Parts are not cheap, that's for sure; the oil filter alone is $58, and that's OUR price from dealer to us. Yeesh.

Originally posted by CHIF8008 View Post
            that looks like fun. (seriously)
            Depends on your definition, but we've definitely enjoyed working on it so far. It's a little bit longer than your standard job, but it's been a good experience and only helps to speed us up in the future

www.fluidmotorunion.com
            www.stanceworks.com

Comment

I'd rather work on a Murcielago than a '98 A4.
              sigpic

BMW M5 V8 1993
              Slowtoys CC

Comment

Working...
              X