Good As New

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good As New

Let’s head back to the body shop to see what’s been going on while we strip and prep the Porsche 914.

Okay, so we’re going a bit out of order on these blog posts. This next car actually came into the shop for its job prior to the full-on effort to strip and prep the 914, but since we didn’t want to overload you all on the same content over several consecutive days, we figured this would be good for the interim. Either way, Rich brought in his Z4 to have a panel dent removed. He’d taken a hit just behind his driver’s side wheel in the front, and since there isn’t much in the way of support behind the fender, the blemish showed pretty easily. There aren’t any pictures of the first step, which was a pulling-out of the dent after removing the badges, so let’s just skip right to the second step, which is treating the panel with filler and following the contours of the panel to make sure things like wheel arch shapes are preserved.

From there, the rest of the panel is sanded and the whole front fender is prepped for the booth.

A few passes in the booth later, and she’s out, ready for a quick buff and the reinstallation of the sidemarker and 3.0i badges.

And here she is during the final inspection, hanging halfway out of the body shop’s garage. The second picture doesn’t really give you a good idea of the fender, but it’s a nice looking picture so we included it anyway.

With the final thumbs-up given, we pulled it up to the front of the building and waited for Rich to come and pick ‘er up. Rich loved it, so you’ll be bound to see this car back on the nearby roads in the coming weeks — after all, it’s utterly beautiful outside, and looks to be that way until well past Memorial Day. Summer’s almost here, everybody, get ready.

And just because he hasn’t entered the “Awkward Pictures on The Blog” club yet, here’s a picture of Kyle doing something undoubtedly shady. What is he doing that’s so shady? We aren’t ready to give it away…yet.

www.fluidmotorunion.com
    www.stanceworks.com

Originally posted by Oxer
    I'm pretty sure I will molest any exhaust systems you leave lying around

no blend? I'm disappointed. are you guys downgrading your standards?
    Hatchbacks, wagons... It's NOT all the same. You want in? Don't get a mazda 3, get a mazda 6 wagon. Don't get a wrx get a legacy wagon. and theres a reason the A3 isn't called the A3 avant... Scion does not make a wagon it makes a weird van, but no wagons

Sincerely,
    The Wagon Mafia:Inner Circle
    P.S. Is your tail a wagon?

Show cars are lame.

Comment

Originally posted by Rebounder View Post
      I asked Ron about that, and apparently the black didn't need to be blended (I forget the reasoning; if I recall somewhat, it's due to the type of black that this is). I was skeptical too, but after looking at it up close and in person, it matches perfectly, even down to the level of orange peel. Looks as factory as it can get.

If you look back at the other pictures from recent body jobs, we do blend, so it's not like we've stopped in the last couple days. Ron has extensive experience, including work on Barrett-Jackson auction cars, so I trust him when it comes to my inquiries about how the work actually goes down.
      Last edited by FluidMotorUnion; 05-22-2012, 08:40 AM.

www.fluidmotorunion.com
      www.stanceworks.com

Comment

Some blacks are literally only black, so a blend is a waste of time. I just got a new bumper for my a4 and the paint code turned out to be a right off the shelf black. So the bumper matches perfectly.
        Strictly Pleasure/Zero Clearance/Stretch Your Legs
        Alex

Comment

Originally posted by Rebounder View Post
          I ask myself the same question. Disappointing
          BMW E38
          That White Evo
          -SOLD
          instagram @kbuss
          flickr

Comment

Maybe they were on a tight budget?
            Dude... My nissan has like a v8, man.

Comment

Did any of you read the post Andrew just put up on the subject? If FMU knew they were skimping/ lowering their standards, do you think they'd be posting each process they go through step-by-step on such a huge forum?
              Last edited by cobrawannabe; 05-22-2012, 10:37 AM.

If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right.

Your blast pipes look stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by cobrawannabe View Post
                Did any of you read the post Andrew just put up on the subject? If FMU knew they were skimping/ lowering their standards, do you think they'd be posting each process they go through step-by-step on such a huge forum?
                No worries. Conversations happen.

I'm just happy people are looking and commenting! Means my job is still worth keeping around at the company

www.fluidmotorunion.com
                www.stanceworks.com

Comment

Originally posted by cobrawannabe View Post
                  lol. Apparently they can get away with "assuming" people are on a budget and not blending their fenders and then never telling them about it until the person shows up to get the car. It happened to me and it's been a ongoing hassle to get them to own up to their mistake. I've always trusted FMU, but apparently if you aren't a millionaire, you won't receive quality work.

Sorry to bring this in here, Andrew. But I'm resorting to shit like this until OJ/Craig decide to do something.
                  BMW E38
                  That White Evo
                  -SOLD
                  instagram @kbuss
                  flickr

Comment

Oh damn, shits gettin serious

Comment

it's right on the line of what should be spot blended or blended into the next panel. the filler/glaze appears to go right up to the edge where the fender borders the rocker. and in the sunlight the black appears to be metallic. can't judge paint matching from pictures but happy if your risks paid off.
                      Hatchbacks, wagons... It's NOT all the same. You want in? Don't get a mazda 3, get a mazda 6 wagon. Don't get a wrx get a legacy wagon. and theres a reason the A3 isn't called the A3 avant... Scion does not make a wagon it makes a weird van, but no wagons

Sincerely,
                      The Wagon Mafia:Inner Circle
                      P.S. Is your tail a wagon?

Show cars are lame.

Comment

Working...
                      X