Winter Woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter Woes

There are two things that come with winter that can spell nothing but sadness for car owners. Today, we’ll look at both of them.

The first tag-along of winter is treacherous road conditions. When we say drive safely, over and over, pretty much on the daily, we mean it. Not only are we a service shop and a performance fabrication shop, but we also have a full paint and body shop, so we see exactly what happens when people don’t heed our call for safer winter driving. We obviously think it’s best if everybody buys winter/snow tires, or at least a set of very capable all-seasons, but in today’s economy (or any economy, really) it’s not feasible to expect every roadgoing consumer to pony up $500 for a set of Blizzaks. Between snow from the roofs and hoods of other cars and the overall conditions, one wrong move in this weather — be it your wrong move, or somebody else’s — can spell disaster. Like it did for this Escape Hybrid:

The front end is pretty well smashed up, with the fender and suspension taking the brunt of the damage. This is typical of your normal winter damage — it’s usually a result of understeer while turning, with the leading tire running smack-dab into the opposing curb as the tires are unable to grab traction. It may be as simple as an alignment to fix the issue, or it could end up costing you (or your insurance company) thousands in repairs that will leave you without your car for a week or two. Thankfully, the expensive and electrically charged hybrid system didn’t suffer an inch of damage, but the suspension and body panel damage is more than enough. Even the A/C condenser is damaged and leaking.

Pretty sick camber, though, AMIRITE?!

The other winter woe we’ll discuss today is salt. While not every state uses salt for their roadways and highways, Illinois does. If you mix the salt with a very humid summer and some small exposed surfaces on the vehicle, boom, rust begins to develop at an accelerated rate. Rust is the enemy of anything metal, as it will begin to eat through your metal until you’re left with a pile of golden-brown flakes that are not part of your daily recommended breakfast regimen. It happens very often on exhaust systems, where penetrating rust will give your exhaust note all sorts of awful characteristics. Such is the case for this Chevy Malibu. We had to replace its muffler, which had given in to the ‘car cancer.’

This of course meant handing it over to our tame fabrication squad, since the new muffler didn’t come with a tip, and we weren’t going to figure out a way to get the old rusted one back on there. Even though it was just a quick exhaust tip for a Malibu didn’t give us any reason to do it with less enthusiasm and effort. As always, the welds turned out nice, and here’s one quick example.

So yes, we’ll say it again. Drive safely. It’s not really you guys we’re worried about — it’s the other maniacs on the road you’ll need to watch out for.

www.fluidmotorunion.com
    www.stanceworks.com

Originally posted by Oxer
    I'm pretty sure I will molest any exhaust systems you leave lying around

I know what its like... hit a curb last year here in Chicago and ended up driving to Minneapolis to pickup a subframe since I bent the tabs for mounting the control arm.

Follow Me On Instagram! @jvc8790 #jvcphotography

Comment

Originally posted by JVC View Post
      I know what its like... hit a curb last year here in Chicago and ended up driving to Minneapolis to pickup a subframe since I bent the tabs for mounting the control arm.
      Back when I was but a young'in, I went out for some FF drifting in my mom's car. Nicked a curb sideways at 5 mph, assumed it was an alignment issue and somehow grew the balls to tell my parents right away.

After a quick inspection at the dealer, I did about $3k in damage, including bending the subframe, breaking just about every suspension component behind the wheel, and bent the wheel itself. It was that day that I determined to make myself a better driver, and over the course of the last 9 years, I'd like to think that I have.

www.fluidmotorunion.com
      www.stanceworks.com

Comment

Yeah, ever since then I've learned to drive slower and more careful. I went out and bought new control arms thinking I bent/snapped one and then went to pull it off and noticed the mount was bent about 35 degrees resulting in like 10 degrees of caster. I also destroyed a wheel... all on a 5" curb from 15mph. Truly amazing...

Follow Me On Instagram! @jvc8790 #jvcphotography

Comment

Originally posted by FluidMotorUnion View Post
          ... but in today’s economy (or any economy, really) it’s not feasible to expect every roadgoing consumer to pony up $500 for a set of Blizzaks. .
          I never understood why you Americans don't buy snow tires in general . . in Europe (almost) nobody is brave/stupid enough to just depend on summer tires all year round . . everybody has 2 sets of wheels . . and especially in today's economy every roadgoing customer should pony up $500 for a set of Blizzaks . . the alternative is always more expensive . .

. . drive safely!
          my Bimmers . . . -> HERE!! <-
          my unhealthy amount of Wheels!! . . . -> HERE!! <-

Comment

Originally posted by MrZog View Post
            I never understood why you Americans don't buy snow tires in general . . in Europe (almost) nobody is brave/stupid enough to just depend on summer tires all year round . . everybody has 2 sets of wheels . . and especially in today's economy every roadgoing customer should pony up $500 for a set of Blizzaks . . the alternative is always more expensive . .

. . drive safely!
            Most people in america don't think that far. They think, car has all-seasons, good enough.
            Strictly Pleasure/Zero Clearance/Stretch Your Legs
            Alex

Comment

Originally posted by NeedingAnAudi View Post
              Most people in america don't think that far. They think, car has all-seasons, good enough.
              Winter is a season. Therefore, it's one of many seasons encompassing the ALL title.

Therefore, I can drive 55 mph in 3" of packed snow with my four-year-old Generals. RIGHT?!

www.fluidmotorunion.com
              www.stanceworks.com

Comment

Originally posted by FluidMotorUnion View Post
                Winter is a season. Therefore, it's one of many seasons encompassing the ALL title.

Therefore, I can drive 55 mph in 3" of packed snow with my four-year-old Generals. RIGHT?!
                My generals are over 2 years old.

Although, they may or may not be altimax artics
                Strictly Pleasure/Zero Clearance/Stretch Your Legs
                Alex

Comment

Working...
                X