At what point are sway bars useless?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At what point are sway bars useless?

Are swa ybars really needed for a slammed car? Do they make a difference?

The stock spring rates for my car were around 140lbs all around, now I'm on 1000/900lbs. Don't the swaybars just bind since the links are too long when you're lowered?

I'm only thinking this cause when I tried to put my front sway bar back, it fell and smashed my nose so now I'm pissed at it haha
    -Jason
    91 Lagunengrun 325i
    88 635csi (Parted & Crushed)

when a vehicle is sitting at ride height, the sway bar "ends" should be parallel to the floor. (if i remember correctly)

a "slammed" car's stock sways will become useless and will bind. so i would say that its a better idea to not run sways on a slammed car.

...unless if you can re- do the length and mounting points of the sway so that the geometry becomes correct. my e30 broke the sway end links after i dropped it due to binding. im too lazy to remove the sway, but its not connected. hahaha

i dont know how the sway is set-up on your car but i know that for the e30 the stock point is in the control arm. so, if i wanted to make it work i would need to fab up M3 style mounts and mount the sways with long endlinks to the strut tubes.

but honestly, if my car could "sway" enough to need it- at my height- plenty of other parts of the car would drag into the road. such as my subframe, the control arm baljoints or the CAB's.

sorry about your nose man. Just another mechanic smash lol
    -FREEDOM- is cruisin at 80, windows down and listening to the perfect song-thinking "this is it"
    -The Beauty in the Tragedy-
    MECHANIC SMASH!!- (you all know you do it)
    Got Drop??

Comment

Working...
    X