Won't Start - 1974 Vovlo 142 GL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Won't Start - 1974 Vovlo 142 GL

I have a 1974 Vovlo 142 with the B20F motor.

So far I cannot get the motor to start.

The distributor lines up correctly at TDC, new contacts points and rotor. New spark plugs and spark plug wires, new ignition coil. New battery.
    Gets good spark at the plug.

New fuel pump and fuel filter, hoses blown and gas tank inspected. Everything clean.

I have not adjusted the idle valve on the vaccume line since the new hoses were installed at a shop.

3 months ago it ran fine (after parts install), slowly lost power and now wont start.

Headgasket??? I havent gotten the tester from AZ yet.

Just looking for tips or tricks that I may not know about. First project car...only motors I have experience with are 2 stroke R/C airplane motors.

00m0m_jKPQUJBnx7u_600x450
    Last edited by loblo; 12-03-2013, 02:31 PM.

I would double-check the fuel distributor and sensors attached to it. If power slowly went the way of the dodo, I'd think something was gumming up and sitting allowed it to plug up completely.

I'm assuming it'll fire on starting fluid? Those old K-Jet mechanical systems are picky bastards. I'm shooting from the hip here though, since my only B18/B20 experience involves the factory twin carb setups.
    - Bagged '98 Chevy S10 - Stock '88 Volvo 240DL - Broken '87 Mitsubishi Starion ESi-R - Also Broken '87 Shelby Lancer #707/800 -

Comment

Spraying starter fluid directly into the intake seemed to work a bit, but it wouldn't 'run' obviously. I'm going to remove the fuel pump and take another look at it, it seems to be a little loud when operating. I'd **** to touch the K-Jet, might be a $100 to the auto shop.

Comment

Cannot believe my eyes!

So I finally got some time under the hood. Glad I didn't chop the springs day one, I can shimmy all the way under without a jack!

So the fuel pump was some zip ties contraption, it makes noise but I doubt that enough fuel is getting to the intake.

Also, the yellow wire of the blue/yellow combo that come out of the relay was cut...couldn't see the end it was attached to originally, and cannot find a wiring diagram that covers that portion.

But I am ordering some wire so I can rewire the car. That should kill any issues, and it's easy to do inside and out of the cold.

Comment

Working...
        X