No announcement yet.

E30 to E28?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Early E28's like 528's and 533's are cool cars but I'd choose a 535 for a Daily. The older ones are really harsh. They are lighter though and the 533's are a tad bit quicker. I raced my Friends 535 with a full Catback and lsd, and he couldnt pass me. Im all stock with all the sound deading gone, and Ive got an early cam so its kinda peppy up top.
    Heres what you need to know.
    Early cars have non tunable ecu's and swaybars are really hard to find for the rears. Less sound deading and the 5speeds arent really that strong.
    All years of an E28 have interchagable parts. Coilovers are the only way to go low with these cars. Raise the motor and your good.
    Find a good clean car and your set. All the things Ive had to replace was because of being an idiot. Other than that its never broken down on me and I get 21mpg average. I recently hauled 5 people and loads of crap in the trunk to oregon and got 28mpg doing 80mph the whole way.
    sigpic

Comment

I just jumped into an E28 as well. Best BMW ive had yet!

Comment

I think it'd be a riot to have a E28 535i 5-speed with a Miller MAF, higher diff and gutted interior. Or turbo it and go to town. Mmmm torque .

Comment

on hunting for e28 right now but need to find someone thats willing to trade for ORANGE car

Comment

Good luck with that, cause e28s to my knowledge weren't offered in orange. Just find the best cheap one that you can and spray paint it orange.
            Ol Dirty Bastard - RIP

Photo by Alex Dooley
            2016 Ducati Scrambler, 2015 Subaru Impreza

Comment

E28s are awesome cars if maintained. If not, look forward to replacing every rubber bushing, every sensor (actually aren't too many) and every rubber hose. That kind of goes for every car, though.

Get an '85 or newer 535i or an '87/'88 535is; they have stronger transmissions than the earlier cars, and all of the "is" cars came with sport seats and M-Tech spoilers.

M30s are all over the place; if you find a clean car with a tired or cooked motor, go for the M30B35 swap. Any M30 out of an E34, E32, or late E24 will work. All you need otherwise is an aftermarket motor mount (not always) and the wiring harness from an '88 528e. A stock M30B34 isn't a bad motor at all though.

UCAs can cause vibration at ~55mph, the coolant system needs to be well-maintained (like any BMW), and if you don't have your driveline bushings in good order, they can eat driveshafts. Luckily, they're incredibly easy to work on, very comfortable, and they respond very well to suspension mods.

Rust can be an issue around the trunk seal, even in California cars.

As far as comfort is concerned - I have friends that prefer sitting in the back to the front. Four passengers can fit comfortably, but the fifth might complain a little. The trunk can fit four wheels with tires in it if you work it just right, too.

Good luck, and definitely check out MyE28.com if you're serious.

-1993 535i/5 NA-T

Comment

I came from E30's to my E28. I love it and only miss being able to open my passenger door from my drivers seat with no problem.
                rivalhousegarage.com

Comment

sold e30 and got this

I'm huntin for reasonable 190e or e28 to haul the bike around. I cant stance the bike... nah

Comment

Working...
                  X