Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How I got the front clearance on my E36 without rolling...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How I got the front clearance on my E36 without rolling...

For the front *ONLY*

Not as a DIY, so please don't trash the thread. This is in a response to something I get asked alot:

Originally posted by oHSo EuRo View Post
    I need to meet you in person and have you explain/show me the whole adjusting the nose panel thing for more clearance. Me and ****** contemplated how to do this but couldn't come up with any idea as how to lol.

Well, you're in luck kiddo. My family has a few E36's and when something goes wrong..... you know the rest.

Goliath is a family members E36 M 4 door. Not satisfied with rubbing noises.... Yes, I told him to go with 18's.... his answer- Your car or mine? So... I just took the keys and walked away

Got it up in the air, on jackstands and pulled off the liners to expose the bumper slides and bracketry for the fender/filler and bumper guide. Now, I've done nearly everyone in my family (9 and counting) and still find it easy to do either the filler/fender or bumper 1st. I do the bumper, then I get the fender to line up. Easy for me, because I don't go extreme with it. For the finicky, go with the filler and fender first.

I loosened these 2 bolts to the bumper guide:

and slid the bracket out a little and tightened it while maintaining the line between the bumper and filler.

Your bumper should look like this:

Next is the filler if you chose to do it 2nd.

look up and you'll see this 8mm and 2 more that hold the fender here:

Yep... you guessed it. Loosen the 2 bolts for the fender 1st, lightly pull, then tighten. Do the same for the filler (the 1 screw circled in red), lightly pull and hold fender, then tighten. Here's a pic of the filler screw adjusted and tightened:

Put everything back the way you found it. Gave it a lock to lock check while down on the ground before heading out and Happens all the time.

I have quite a few more pictures if need be, but unfortunately they're all from an itouch.
    Last edited by Okin; 07-13-2012, 01:57 PM.

Originally posted by Zic
    i think im gonna shoot my self soon. There are SO FREAKING many questions about the e36.

So you gained all of what, a couple mm of clearance?

And you're saying this is your substitute for rolling fenders?

Comment

I've done this on my wife's VW with good success. I even added a few washers and used longer bolts to space the fender out more.

I would suggest doing this in addition to rolling, not as an alternative, though.
      025garage

Comment

Originally posted by motocaddy View Post
        I would suggest doing this in addition to rolling, not as an alternative, though.
        I could see that being beneficial for extremely aggressive wheels.

Comment

Originally posted by SeanDub View Post

Well there's really not much to roll on the front fenders.

IG: @_olliee

Comment

Originally posted by Ollie View Post
            truth
            cars and stuff

Comment

The Arctic Silver is lovingly called Goliath, as my cousins name is Davey. He doesn't like to have people work on it. I'd pick it up, do a couple little things and send the car back, so it would stay parked on a trickle charger in a garage. He's put about 6-7k on it in 2 years. I drive it more than he does, and I barely have driven it. It has a lot done to it from suspension mods, to Intake/catback exhaust, software upgrade, a UUC suspension bits like lower front sway bar, links front and rear strutbars- to Alcantra Vaders.... ( yumm...) carbon moldings, lips etc for aesthetics, and problem that I was asked to repair and achieved success:

and the car w/staggered 19x8.5 front and 19x10 rear which was waiting for this to happen so it could be dropped more in the front: IBT drop that isht!

Originally posted by SeanDub View Post

Yes to part 1, no to part 2. I put E36 in there, as that's what I own and was the only method I used for the fronts on my Boston Green E36.

I didn't even remove the liner completely on mine. I just removed about 8-10" top center and this method and was able to keep water from everywhere. This is and was in no means, a DIY. Sorry for the confusion.

And......

Originally posted by Ollie View Post

Yes. And I kno you might remember.... even spacers are needed on these cars for some fitment and a drop. Most might need a 5mm or so of distance from the strut, this would buy them back 6-8mm. If you want to lock or close this, or If you want to delete it forever, no harm/no foul. If you want to repost as a DIY, fine too.
              and I'll send you detailed pics to clarify some more.
              Last edited by Okin; 07-14-2012, 02:49 PM.

Originally posted by Zic
              i think im gonna shoot my self soon. There are SO FREAKING many questions about the e36.

Comment

Is it just me or does it look like there is a caster problem going on?? It's a funny angle, but this:

Looks much worse than this:

I understand the wheels are different sizes, but in that first pic, the caster looks out of spec..

Comment

this thread is full of que?
                  025garage

Comment

Working...
                  X