Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel refinishing tips

Hey guys,

I searched and couldn't find a thread talking about wheel refinishing techniques. I was hoping that some of you who have done this can shed some light on techniques and tips to do this.

My case, I have a set of BMW M-System turbine wheels that I want to strip the while paint off of and then have the lips polished.

I'd like to get some advice on the best way to strip the paint off the wheels and whether I can polish the lips at home or give it to a professional.

Any painting tips as well would be great.

You can polish the lips yourself. Not hard at all.

Stripping them, to strip wheels, I usually use this method;
    Aerosol aircraft stripper, spray on, let sit for 30 min or so, peel off with a razorblade, or brush off with an old toothbrush/brush. Hose them off.
    If that doesn't get it all (it wont), repeat this as many times as you see fit.

I usually sand the wheels with 180, then 320 to get them ready for primer, you can do this on the lips as well.

Then I would start sanding the lips, 400, 600, 800, 1k, 1500, 2k, 2500, 3k all wetsanded, in succession. Then you can polish them. I start with mothers wheel polish paste, or the polish padding. Then I go to a cutting/rubbing compound, polishing compound, swirl mark remover, then finally a sealer wax that I leave on for like 24 hours then wipe off.

For the paint, you can sand them to 320, then primer. Spray one coat, then spray a guide coat, sand, find the high spots, etc...then prime again. Use a thick or high build primer.

Then spray 3-4 coats of base coat. Light dusting coat, then wetter, then a solid wet coat, then another.

Let that dry for 24 hours, then clean them with a tack rag, and clear them. Spray 3-4 coats of clear as well. Light dusting then 3 wet coats, spray each coat as the clear is "flashing" or you can see it dulling...

Then let that sit for a day or two, and you can wetsand/buff them.

This applies for gun painted/spray painted depending on what paint you use.

Use a self etching spray primer, then a high build, basecoat then some nice clear. Not the wheel clear.
    Originally posted by FluidMotorUnion
    Fuck Rotas, I'd rather my wheels not break apart when I drive over a watermelon seed.

Comment

^^^Do this.... if you follow the instructions they will turn out NICE.

Comment

http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=20794

i made this thread a little while back, going through the stages of polishing and using paint stripper.
        -Instagram@jdjurhuus
        Stretchsaurus and Pokemon.

Comment

Working...
        X