This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kartikeya View Post
    Wholeheartedly agreed, though I'd replace money with "resources", as there are correct ways to do things for very little money, with the right skills and tools.
    oh? please share this info as im looking to drop the beretta a good bit with hopes of tucking tire. coilovers arent a potion cuz nobody makes or will even both making a set up , air ride isnt a option either since they dont go low enough for my taste and i have 2 12's in the trunk. the lowest any lowering springs go is about 1.5 or 1.6

03 cavalier
    73 Super Beetle
    68 Fairlane-aka FastLane
    "I Got More Watts Then Youve Got Horse Power"

Comment

Well, custom fabricated coilovers are always an option, and there are a lot of air ride solutions that are easy on trunk space.
      Seems to go plenty low too: http://www.myspace.com/video/vid/1660895

Comment

for the front yes, but the rear sint a strut set up , its a shock and coil. as i said air bags in these cars dont go low enough for me. if i got bags i gotta lay frame and these cars cant do that, unless Heavaly modded

03 cavalier
        73 Super Beetle
        68 Fairlane-aka FastLane

Comment

So the problem is that you're not willing to go to greater lengths, that's all, not a lack of options.

Plenty of cars without rear struts go quite low. Current gen Civics for example. A custom shorter shock with a short spring would do it.

Comment

oh im willing to dowhat ever it takes, even useing springs from another car. the closeest thing ti mine is the mini cooper springs

03 cavalier
            73 Super Beetle
            68 Fairlane-aka FastLane

Comment

Before this turns into a complete shitfight, Lets agree to disagree.

Sure custom fabbed coils and bags are an option, but if the car is worth less then the costs to have this stuff fabricated and fitted, I dont see the problem in choosing the cheaper option of cutting springs.
              Originally posted by anth
              Lucky they didn't come into your house and disrespect your whole family.

Comment

Originally posted by Oxer View Post

But it isn't the wrong way. Its an alternative way. You are the narrow minded people I speak of.

Narrow minded? As in when modifying a vehicle that can exceed the speed of your 21 speed in a safe manner? Don't cut corners in something like suspension, tires or wheels you will ALWAYS pay for it in the end.

You wouldn't install lower quality seat belts because they look better but increase your chance of decapitation by 100%

Would you?

I'm not being narrow minded. I am just saying that the alternative way to things isn't always the right way. Cutting springs is NOT the way to lower your car. Coilovers or air is.

Edited to avoid e-scrap

Comment

If you are going to build your car for asthetics, which 50% of people who build cars with stance are, then there is not problem with handling/steering at the proper speed limits. If you plan on building a car with big power and intend on using it, at rediculous speeds, you budget things like big dollar suspension into the equasion.

The seat belt argument is rediculous... You show me one build thread on here where someone is modifying their seatbelts in that manner, you wont find it. But that comes down to common sence, the whole basis of my argument is about common sence.

Just to add, 80% of car accidents are caused by driver error*, with the other 20% being environmental conditions.

*may or may not be actual statisic figures.

Comment

i dont see the whole, "not if theyre progressive" argument. i put in some gr-2 shocks and eibach sport lines which iirc are progressive into an s13. had the shop cut the flat coil off, then a full coil and a half just to get rid of the horrible reverse rake. ended up being pretty damn low. never had a problem. i took that car to over 150mph once with that set up and it felt ok.

i'm glad this came up now, though. i've been thinking of cutting the springs on my current car, '06 sentra. my main concern is the low spring rate they have to begin with. i do want to cut them to bring the height down quite a bit. so, i guess my concern is, how will it handle keeping it from bottoming out? chimers, in??
                    Last edited by hek1620; 12-24-2010, 12:08 PM.
                    this is not a personal attack.

Comment

The seat belt argument is rediculous... You show me one build thread on here where someone is modifying their seatbelts in that manner, you wont find it. But that comes down to common sence, the whole basis of my argument is about common sence.
                      Actually, there was that one thread where the guy removed his seat belt to install a bucket seat, and didn't re-install them. Then got his car impounded.

Comment

Originally posted by kartikeya View Post
                        Actually, there was that one thread where the guy removed his seat belt to install a bucket seat, and didn't re-install them. Then got his car impounded.
                        On this forum? link?

Comment

On this forum? link?
                          The general style discussion forum, as well as a place to post your car, or any car for that matter.

Comment

Originally posted by hek1620 View Post
                            i dont see the whole, "not if theyre progressive" argument. i put in some gr-2 shocks and eibach sport lines which iirc are progressive into an s13. had the shop cut the flat coil off, then a full coil and a half just to get rid of the horrible reverse rake. ended up being pretty damn low. never had a problem. i took that car to over 150mph once with that set up and it felt ok.
                            Sounds safe.......

Glad I like to do things the right way, instead of the cheap way.
                            The other Jaguar

Comment

Look at the car, now look at the owner.

He doesnt have enough common sence to dress himself properly let alone build a car. Do I need to say anything else?

Comment

this guy does look like a tool. but why is everyone ranking on his dress sense? is it the color of his shirt? cuz i cant make out whats on it. the car on the other hand, is a little bit much.
                                this is not a personal attack.

Comment

Working...
                                X