No announcement yet.

The Oil Pan Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't say I've ever cracked my pan.... yet. But I'm not exactly low enough to warrant it. Lower than stock, that's for sure... but just bad enough to worry about scraping my lip on stuff, not the oil pan.

I'm also fairly careful about where I drive and how I drive...

I did however knock my exhaust right off, which was fun. Backed down my driveway, and the pipe hit the ground. (The pipe was a mess to begin with, it was needing to be redone but I hadn't gotten around to it... it hung like 1.5 inches above the ground.) So when the pipe hit, the hanger welded to teh top of the muffler punched right through and let go. The entire exhaust was just laying on the ground, still attached. I was like fuuuuuuuu I had to go meet someone. So I got my neighbor to help me strap it up again and off I went down the highway. I got about 10 minutes down the road (halfway between home and my destination), and boom, it drops again and I'm shooting sparks all down the highway and my pipe holds on for dear life. Pulled over and got it string up as best I could to make it the rest of the way. That was fun.

Anyways... yeah, oil pans. Aren't those a bitch...

Comment

yea. the worst is when its an older road that seems smooth but its higher in the middle and sagged on the sides...very deceiving.
      gengstout.com
      DSDAF10

Comment

hmm. I'm pretty careful about where I go but I never scrape. And I'm lower than most e30s I see. But this is only inspiration to go lower.

And yeah duh it's the ground. Thanks. :lol:

Comment

i had to raise the car 3.5in so the tow truck forks would clear, still knocked my intercooler loose

my ride height right before cracking it, static drop, i was the lane reflector assassin.

right height now that i got wheels

my sway bar has no paint and i have various dents and dings in my subframe, exhaust bracket in the middle of the car gets caught on speed bumps so the bolts holding it up are angled 45 degrees back from getting yanked, my downpipe is destroyed and now catches various objects in the middle of the road, from palm tree fronds to soda bottles and cups, and as you can see above im slowly grinding down the subframe mounting brackets. But i will never raise this shit
          Last edited by Tuck&Poke; 06-16-2009, 02:41 PM.

ig: @jonnie86

Comment

Nice!

Comment

O wow i need to start taking pics
              Chris-

Comment

I took down 2 on my old MK3 GTI. I was less than .5" at my oil pan. I almost destroyed one on a raised sewer head in my old E30. It wasn't even that low but the sewer head was around 4" raised (they removed the surface from the road to resurface it) I ended up with a decent sized dent in the front of the pan.

My E30 was not low...

Comment

i need to cut my strut perches to get my e30 to sit on the pan.
                  before my coilovers, i was on blown shocks and cut springs. and i fractured an oil pan whilst dodging a pothole.

Comment

I've only broken one, but it was through a skidplate.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuck&Poke View Post
                      my ride height right before cracking it, static drop, i was the lane reflector assassin.
                      I've always wondered how those things would end up missing

Comment

Mine officially bit the dust. I've been driving the car because its not leaking yet but one more wack and its a wrap. My oil level sensor smashed to pieces as well which makes it all the more fun. Sorry about the shitty pictures. Took them with my storm without looking.

I don't think its cool to crack pans and I'm pissed I have to switch it off the other m62 I have in my driveway but I like knowing I'm one of few people in the world that can wack an e39 pan off the floor (they sit pretty high inbetween the rails). I **** boston roads. Raised man hole covers suck.

Comment

Originally posted by Stan Marsh View Post
                          I took down 2 on my old MK3 GTI. I was less than .5" at my oil pan. I almost destroyed one on a raised sewer head in my old E30. It wasn't even that low but the sewer head was around 4" raised (they removed the surface from the road to resurface it) I ended up with a decent sized dent in the front of the pan.

My E30 was not low...
                          I have some bad news about your old e30 man...

The pan on my m42 is about 2" off the ground and I've never even touched it. I'm lowering the front another inch soon though, so we'll see how it does then. At least its a 2 piece pan.

Comment

Originally posted by Byron View Post
                            I have some bad news about your old e30 man...
                            ??

Comment

My friend Greg bought it and swapped an m30 into it, then a 16yo ran a stop sign as Greg was driving by.

Comment

Originally posted by da3bous
                                I want you to photoshop a giant penis down the side of my car

Comment

Working...
                                X