No announcement yet.

The Oil Pan Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I joined the club last week. But I broke an axel too and maybe some engine mounts.

I high centred this stupid raised manhole cover, insurance doesn't want to go after the developer of the road so my squeaky clean driving record is now ruined because they believe it was my fault for hitting it. This thing is camoed into the road, I can't be stopping at every manhole cover. I had a skid plate and the cover ripped the plate from my car. This is what it looks like:

Any advice? Should I just suck it up and pay it or do you think it might be decent to go to small claims court.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lukey View Post
      on the engine i pulled out. got 3mm plate welded onto the sump on the engine im putting back in
      Be careful with that, I welded an 1/8" plate to the bottom of my pan and it caused the sides to buckle and blocked off the oil pickup

the top and bottom were parallel

Comment

• Originally posted by csroka View Post
        I joined the club last week. But I broke an axel too and maybe some engine mounts.

I high centred this stupid raised manhole cover, insurance doesn't want to go after the developer of the road so my squeaky clean driving record is now ruined because they believe it was my fault for hitting it. This thing is camoed into the road, I can't be stopping at every manhole cover. I had a skid plate and the cover ripped the plate from my car. This is what it looks like:

Any advice? Should I just suck it up and pay it or do you think it might be decent to go to small claims court.
        you'll never win a case where you are trying to say its the roads fault and not your own for vehicle modification.
        doing it for the internet and the scene kids.

Comment

• Fair!

Comment

• Originally posted by Byron View Post
            Be careful with that, I welded an 1/8" plate to the bottom of my pan and it caused the sides to buckle and blocked off the oil pickup
            its been welded half way up the sump on the front and slightly up the sides to hopefully try and avoid this

Comment

• Originally posted by Lukey View Post
              its been welded half way up the sump on the front and slightly up the sides to hopefully try and avoid this
              i cant tell what motor that is, but i tried that on the last pan i blew out and that welded "skid plate" was actually the reason for why i busted my pan. on the e30, the pan is right in between the wheels, but that plate caused the closest point to the road to be 3 inches in front of the wheels so that even if i hit shit even with both wheels, the pan was still the first to make contact... make sense?

all im saying is its not as great as you think.. just my $.02
              Originally posted by HooWybrow
              Bro, do you even e30?

Comment

• raise the motor- problem solved. got the M20 pan up above the front subframe and then added a plate. works great. (now to rethink the rear mounts. i was going through skid bolts- a set a day for 5 days straight.)

should be sorted by this weekend
                -FREEDOM- is cruisin at 80, windows down and listening to the perfect song-thinking "this is it"
                -The Beauty in the Tragedy-
                MECHANIC SMASH!!- (you all know you do it)
                Got Drop??

Comment

• some things just happen

crack went all the way up to the bottom of the block and across the sealing surface.
                  Without my skid plate i would have lost the oil pick up also, among other things
                  Last edited by CHIF8008; 12-02-2012, 04:41 AM.
                  -FREEDOM- is cruisin at 80, windows down and listening to the perfect song-thinking "this is it"
                  -The Beauty in the Tragedy-
                  MECHANIC SMASH!!- (you all know you do it)
                  Got Drop??

Comment

• On coilovers...

4th oil pan and 3rd subframe. On jackstands now getting its 2nd transmission:/

Untitled by GaugeDoisher, on Flickr

And this is the car that takes the beatings

DSC_6984 by GaugeDoisher, on Flickr

Comment

• I've yet to destroy the oil pan on my M30, but the day will come soon.

1999 Lexus GS300 | Bagged | Wed Kranze Borphes | STUPID

2001 325i |Coupe | Carbonfiber | Comfy

Comment

• Holy crap, I'm glad I'm not as low as some of you guys. I don't know how you guys can afford to fix that stuff over and over again.

Then again, it's probably easier for you guys to find stuff then me.

Comment

• This thread makes me thankful for a steel pan and pretty nice roads.

Posted from my magic fingers.

1983 528e, 230,xxx miles, Alpine weiss. M20B25 swapped
                          my tumblr.
                          What the f**k is a build thread?

Comment

• Steel pan on a 528e? Did you swap on a pan from a euro 524td?

Comment

• Originally posted by nickskater09 View Post
                              This thread makes me thankful for a steel pan and pretty nice roads.

Posted from my magic fingers.
                              Even a steel pan wont save you after another trip down to the shop
                              IG: ashtonlafleur

Comment

• Originally posted by CHIF8008 View Post
                                some things just happen

crack went all the way up to the bottom of the block and across the sealing surface.
                                Without my skid plate i would have lost the oil pick up also, among other things
                                mkiv's are the worst, for serious.
                                025garage

Comment

Working...
                                X