Cutting Dinan springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No such thing as cutting springs the "right" way
    Use a bottle of cold water and don't let the metal get warm. I always cut mine with an air grinder and spray water as i'm cutting them. You don't want the metal to get soft, or you'll have bouncy springs.

Comment

Originally posted by SeeClass View Post
      Use a bottle of cold water and don't let the metal get warm. I always cut mine with an air grinder and spray water as i'm cutting them. You don't want the metal to get soft, or you'll have bouncy springs.
      yea, thats a bit overkill but you are correct.

Its gotta get pretty damn hot before you start to weaken the material, in the neighborhood of 800deg for steel depending on composition. So in reality the only part that may get affected is the very tip of the spring where the blade is touching it, Provided your not cutting it with a torch you should be okay with just a saw or cutting wheel.
      Last edited by Tuck&Poke; 06-15-2010, 03:34 PM.

ig: @jonnie86

Comment

You can cut them with a hand saw without getting the metal even warm but it takes forever. If you cut it with a cutting wheel at 10,000 rpm it get pretty damn hot. You'll have a bouncy ride If the metal around where the spring seats gets soft due to the heat. I've seen cutting wheels turn orange from cutting springs on a single shot.

Comment

Working...
        X