Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Understanding Spring Rates

Hi all,

As you can tell, I'm pretty low as far as my wheels in the fenders go but not really that low to the ground.

The dampeners for my coilovers are NOT adjustable. What is the acceptable margin of change for using a stiffer spring? If any? I know I am probably out of luck here but just wanted to see if there was anything I could do.

If I go with a shorter spring, how will that affect things? For example, if I have a 10" 7K spring and I switch to a 8" 7K spring, how would that affect ride quality?

Thanks in advance.

Assuming linear rates, the length of spring does not play a part in it's rate. A 10" 7k spring is the same, in terms of stiffness, as an 8" 7k spring. The thing you have to watch out for is shock travel. Make sure your shocks are capable of handling the shortened travel provided by shorter springs.

Edit: I think I worded it weird. Hopefully someone with more experience can chime in. But, as I see it, if a manufacturer is offering a 7k spring in both 8" and 10" lengths, they should both compress the same under the same loads. So, your ride quality will be the same assuming your shocks can handle the lessened travel.
    Last edited by lambo; 07-01-2014, 11:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X