Innder Diameter and Spring Rate Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Innder Diameter and Spring Rate Question

I've been searching for shorter springs for my coilovers, and I've found a few 62mm springs that would work, but the spring ID on my current setup is 63.5mm. It's a 1.5mm difference, but I've noticed an annoying amount of rounding when looking at spring IDs. I've seen both 65mm and 62mm spring being listed as 2.5"... and 63.5" is exactly 2.5"... which poses my question.. would a 62mm ID spring work in place of my 63.5" spring?

While I've been searching for a shorter springs and an answer to my ID question, I've heard people mention that you should increase the spring rate when getting a shorter spring, but I don't have a clear answer as to why. I have 8k springs now and I was planning on getting shorter 8k springs to replace them with...
    sigpic

1.5mm is a pretty minor difference for springs. Also I wouldn't see any real reason to need to up your spring rate while going to a shorter spring. When you decrease the length of the spring you'll increase how easy it is to compress a little bit so going with a slightly stiffer spring is ok, but not necessary.
    94 Saturn SW2 - T3s60 7psi, slammed, daily driven
    94 Saturn SC2 - T3/T4, 13.4 @107 mph, built motor coming soon
    --MegaSquirt user--

Comment

Working...
    X