School me. Cutting gas struts.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• School me. Cutting gas struts.

Alright, I've got Tokico D-spec struts and Ground control coilover sleeves.
    6" springs.
    Front coils are maxed but I want to go another 2" lower.

In order to get lower I've been thinkin' about cutting up my struts, specifically the strut to steering knuckle mounting point.

D-specs are nitrogen filled, heating up the gas could be very, very dangerous.
    I thought about releasing all of the gas, welding in a bung for a schrader valve. Cutting up the struts and refilling them with nitrogen.

Thoughts? Concerns?
    It's like rock-crawling... in the streets...

Do it.

Comment

It sounds good.
      You should make a test one first and see how it holds up after you did the customization to it.

Instagram-PrimeLuxe
      Youtube-PrimeLuxe

Comment

It does not sound good, I highly reccomend you do not do this. Too many reasons why its a bad idea.

Email | Website | Facebook | Instagram @Broadway_Static

Comment

Cutting/welding on a gas strut = scary idea
          BB6 Prelude . . E36 ///M3 . . VA WRX Limited . . 1969 Nova
          Originally posted by Ollie
          We all love to turn heads. Sub-consciously we're all materialistic attention-craving dickheads.

Comment

I wouldn't be working on it while it was filled. The nitrogen would be drained first, than refilled once the cutting / welding was finished.

Comment

Dis is a terrible idea
              Dude... My nissan has like a v8, man.

Comment

Originally posted by Dudermagee View Post
                Dis is a terrible idea
                Care to elaborate?

Comment

Well it seems you're going to do it no matter what is said but there is shock oil in there as well, and the MFG will never tell you the specs they use so you will be shooting in the dark as to how much oil and nitrogen to put back in, for one.

The nitrogen pressurization is in a "chamber" putting a schrader valve can interfere with te actual oil, shims, seals, even compromise the nitrogen chamber itself.

If we could cut up 100 dollar shocks and refill them I'd be rich
                  Last edited by Jesus Christ; 11-16-2012, 09:43 AM.

Comment

Also, your shock body will be shorter but the piston will be the same size, so on thousands of pounds of force under high speed compression there is no where or your oil or nitrogen to go when the piston is fully compressed so it could not compress enough to get your goal of low or it could blow up if you messed up on filling them.

Re fillable shocks re desinged to be refilled and regular shocks were not made to be modified

Comment

Originally posted by Jesus Christ View Post
                      Well it seems you're going to do it no matter what is said but there is shock oil in there as well, and the MFG will never tell you the specs they use so you will be shooting in the dark as to how much oil and nitrogen to put back in, for one.

The nitrogen pressurization is in a "chamber" putting a schrader valve can interfere with te actual oil, shims, seals, even compromise the nitrogen chamber itself.

If we could cut up 100 dollar shocks and refill them I'd be rich
                      Also, your shock body will be shorter but the piston will be the same size, so on thousands of pounds of force under high speed compression there is no where or your oil or nitrogen to go when the piston is fully compressed so it could not compress enough to get your goal of low or it could blow up if you messed up on filling them.

Re fillable shocks re desinged to be refilled and regular shocks were not made to be modified
                      I'm not going to just go ahead in do it, that's why I'm asking to see what people think of the idea.

The only part that would be cut / welded is the bracket that connects the strut to the steering knuckle, like shown in the picture above. I'm not talking about cutting it up and making it shorter... just relocating that bracket up the body more.

Comment

Oh, then go crazy. I thought you were cutting the shock body. Draining te nitrogen or shock oil is a bad idea regardless but just moving the mounting point won't matter.

Comment

Oh, then go crazy. I thought you were cutting the shock body. Draining te nitrogen or shock oil is a bad idea regardless but just moving the mounting point won't matter.
                          Only thing I'm worried about is the heat transfer from the welding. I figured if I tack it, let it cool, and repeat, it shouldn't get too hot, right?

I need a set of crap gas struts to test this out on and an EOD suit... JUNKYARD HOOO!!!!!

Comment

Well, back in the day, my buddy modified his Audi B5 bagyards that have a long rod and fork that he cut. When re welding he just had a tank of water to dip them in after every tack and them just go super slow and dunk em asap to not transfer so much heat.

Comment

Well, back in the day, my buddy modified his Audi B5 bagyards that have a long rod and fork that he cut. When re welding he just had a tank of water to dip them in after every tack and them just go super slow and dunk em asap to not transfer so much heat.
                              I've read a handful of "shorten strut" builds online and that's what they said to do.
                              I'll pick up a set of crap gas shocks and give it a shot.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X