ISSUE: Camber and Caster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ISSUE: Camber and Caster

I have a 2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS (2.4L), this weekend I installed some D2 Coil-overs. The day after I went to NTB (I got the 3 year alignment plan) to get my alignment. As you can see in the attached picture below I got practically everything fixed except for the Caster and Camber.

:: PICTURE OF THE ALIGNMENT REPORT ::

From my knowledge Camber does not affect anything other than the amount of traction and tire wear. But shouldn't make the car shake when accelerating even when accelerating extremely slow.

From the research I have done the caster is the thing that would make the car shake since my wheels seem to be pointing inwards instead of straight (If I'm not mistaken)?

My question is, why does it feel like the front of my car shakes at around 15-30MPH and them goes away after that? How do I fix my caster so it is normal and my car drives normal and I can speed up as fast or slow as I want (taking into account the road is perfectly flat and I wont scrape)?

Also in the picture above the person that did the alignment wrote "no caster/camber (front) adj., rear camber is bottomed out" (not sure what this means).

This leads me to believe I need something to fix the caster, and some camber plates to go on the rear so I don't wear out my tires since my back coil-overs didn't come with camber plates or are not adjustable? After those things are said and done my alignment should be perfect again so that it handles like new if not better since it is so low to the ground. Right now she drives worse than stock, not even including the the shaking that makes me feel like the engine will fall out of the car...

Bagged Civic Si | Accuair | Airrex | Full-Race | Skunk2 | Enkei | Flashpro

probably time for suspension and steering refresh in front. new coils and alignment made it more obvious.
    025garage

Comment

I did replace the front control arm links when installing the coils.

Any idea what I could possibly do to fix the shaking? Caster bolts or something?

All I know is my caster is all out of wack and that needs to be set back to normal (since on Friday before the coilovers the alignment was spot on and the car never wobbled at any MPH).

Comment

You should check
        -if any of the weights has fallen of your wheels.
        -if all of the wheel bolts are tightened.
        -if you use hubcentric rings, you should check if they still are there, or if you maybe stacked two of them together.
        -if everything is tightened back.
        just do a general front end search for any slack in any of the joints.
        camber or cast will not make your car shake.
        -Instagram@jdjurhuus
        Stretchsaurus and Pokemon.

Comment

Thanks, I'll have some time to look for those things this weekend. Any other thoughts anyone what my shaking could be?

Comment

Is the shaking only on acceleration? Do you mean shaking in the steering wheel? or the whole car? Check your cv axles for slop.

I wish I could trade my heart for an extra liver, just so I can drink more and care less.

Comment

It feels like the whole car is shaking (but the majority of it seems like its coming from the front of the car, I dont feel the back of the car shaking at all), I even noticed the very slightest shaking after 30MPH today but it practically goes away after 30MPH. And yes, it is while I am accelerating.

Comment

If the car is a 5 speed, speed up until you feel the vibration then push the clutch in and coast (if auto drop into neutral). If the vibe goes away, It's something with your axles or wheel bearings. I dont see the wheel bearings causing a vibration like that, but out of balance or worn cv axles will definitely cause a pretty bad vibration. I just had this issue with my car. If it still vibrates while coasting, It must be something with your tires or alignment (but if it IS the alignment causing it, something must be seriously off). You can also jack the front end up and run it that way, see if it makes any difference, also try running it in the air with the wheels off.
                Last edited by LethalEthan; 11-06-2012, 06:46 PM.

I wish I could trade my heart for an extra liver, just so I can drink more and care less.

Comment

Thanks man, I will give that a try tomorrow after work and will let you and everyone else know if the car still vibrates while coasting. Hopefully it is just an easy fix that doesn't cost anything or nothing too expensive. Oh well. Anyway I will get back tomorrow and let you know the verdict on when I coast (it is a 5 speed). I do appreciate the advice/thoughts so far.

Comment

Yeah the vibration goes away when I hold in the clutch, and once I put my foot back on the gas it goes back to shaking.

Comment

*This Is the Key to your question*
                      Adjust your camber and toe and tell me how your car rides. I bet you your problem is fixed!

So you Fancy Huh!!

Comment

i'd put my money on a bad cv axle for sure. If any of the boot's are torn replace the axles. You can also grab them and give them a wiggle (haha) if there's excessive play they should be replaced.

Comment

Probably your axles. Check your motor mounts too though.

IG: @_olliee

Comment

stuffed inner CV joints will make the car shake like a mofo on accelerating...
                            Bone stock 2004 Audi A8

Comment

Working...
                            X