Preload vs. no preload ... Stupid coils arent low enough :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preload vs. no preload ... Stupid coils arent low enough :(

So I "built" these coils for my Tercel. They are essentially TEIN Flexs for an Accord with some kind of TEIN camber plate that happened to fit my strut towers ... I have no idea what they are actually from lol.

Anyways, they are much shorter then stock, but just not low enough. Ive still got the 7" springs that they came with adjusted with preload on them and the threaded part with the clevis as far up as it can go and still allow for axle clearance.

My options as I see it are 5" springs and spin the collars down, or raise the strut tops. Obviously shorter springs is easiest, but I dont want to destroy the cartridges.

Any thoughts?

The car seems unfinished to me, (missing the rest of the exhaust, some cable is hanging loose, etc)
    Have you driven the car yet? Since the springs will settle quite a bit once you do.

I would get some miles on the setup before doing any changes.
    -Instagram@jdjurhuus
    Stretchsaurus and Pokemon.

Comment

Yeah, incomplete for sure. I havent driven it in over a year now

I'm just not at all happy with it at that height

Since the coils are used ... Would they not already be "settled" per say?
      Last edited by AstroVannin; 10-29-2012, 08:07 PM.

Comment

no, everytime you lift the wheels off the ground, the suspension will need to re-settle.

I wish I could trade my heart for an extra liver, just so I can drink more and care less.

Comment

Preload is there to keep the shocks from bottoming out, keep the suspension from dropping as much and to make the springs slightly stiffer. As long as you're fine with those trade-offs, there's no problem with getting rid of preload. If you put shorter springs in, get them slightly stiffer so you won't be bottoming out the cartridges.

Comment

I understand what you mean settle now ... The cars been in and out of the garage a couple times since then, no real change to the height. I was thinking longer term.

If the only detriment is that the wheels will droop a bit when lifted .. I’m not worried, Il just get the shorter springs. As it is now it has full travel (5" or so,) so if I spin it down 2 on a shorter spring I should be all set.

Thanks gentlemen

Comment

It's not going to droop anymore then it does now, it will just be a greater difference since the suspension will be starting at a lower point.

Comment

Working...
              X