DIY Coilover Part Sources?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Coilover Part Sources?

Where is a good resource to find components such as threaded sleeves, springs and all the bits and pieces? Ive seen Rally Design but I figure there must be a few places here in the US.

I am looking to modify my stock E34 suspension into coil overs, I've read a few threads on here and a few other drift sites as well as talked to someone who did the exact same thing to theirs at H20. They recommended running audi 90 front strut inserts and bilstein HD's for the back. All I need are the springs, perches with the adjustment for the back and the sleeves with springs for the front. If I recall its a 2.25" OD

Also if anyone could recommend spring length and rate to try out first, its a 95' 530

Thanks

One thread I found usefull.

And another http://www.driftworks.com/forum/drif...coilovers.html
    Last edited by PatrickW; 06-26-2012, 02:14 PM.

I use Summit Racing for most of my parts, they carry a lot of AFCO components that I usually use. Shipping is cheap, often free over a certain amount, and they can usually source some harder-to-find components or new replacements that have superseded old or original components.

Also pay attention to measurements and sizes, a lot of components used for other makes/models can work for a custom application. I'm currently using stuff for SN95-chassis Mustangs to build the front suspension on my Starion.
    - Bagged '98 Chevy S10 - Stock '88 Volvo 240DL - Broken '87 Mitsubishi Starion ESi-R - Also Broken '87 Shelby Lancer #707/800 -

Comment

I saw the AFCO components on their site, how do you know what the inner diameter of the sleeve is? I know what the size of the E34 strut body is, just need to make sure it all matches.

And how do these mount? Weld on, some type of collar? What about the spring diameter, length and top hat? The factory springs are huge so I'm sure I will have to make something to mount there.

Even if there was a write up on another style of coil over build, I would like some ideas with off the shelf products.

Thanks guys! Looking to have this car done for H2Oi this year

Comment

I stock every size spring available so hit me up for spring options

Email | Website | Facebook | Instagram @Broadway_Static

Comment

I've just bought some Cheapo MK2 golf coilover sleeves for the front, not fitted them yet as I still need shocks and maybe camber plates. There probably not as good as rally design but for the price its worth a try

Comment

Originally posted by PatrickW View Post
            I saw the AFCO components on their site, how do you know what the inner diameter of the sleeve is? I know what the size of the E34 strut body is, just need to make sure it all matches.

And how do these mount? Weld on, some type of collar? What about the spring diameter, length and top hat? The factory springs are huge so I'm sure I will have to make something to mount there.

Even if there was a write up on another style of coil over build, I would like some ideas with off the shelf products.

Thanks guys! Looking to have this car done for H2Oi this year
            All that stuff is dependent upon the car, the setup, and the parts you use. i've never messed with a BMW before, so I can't say. There are literally a hundred ways to build suspension parts - all the stuff I build is custom tailored to the vehicle its' going on, but I'm a bit biased since a majority of my work is with off-road trucks.
            - Bagged '98 Chevy S10 - Stock '88 Volvo 240DL - Broken '87 Mitsubishi Starion ESi-R - Also Broken '87 Shelby Lancer #707/800 -

Comment

thread pirate ahoy!
              e36 rear will 7 inches long 2.25 ID 250lbs be suitable?
              obviously if i need to raise or lower from that i can either chop or add adjusters.
              anyone? or shall i start my own thread?
              Float like a Cadillac, Sting like a Beemer!
              http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24326

Comment

start ur own thread for help
                *~* Yamaguchi-gumi Syndicate Member #59,005 *~*
                // Bippu-Car \\

Comment

Working...
                X