Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E30 coilover/wheel problem [Not an average E30 question]

Hi all,

Having a problem here which I just can't solve.. Let me first give you some facts:

E30 316 from 1985, so it's a type 1. This weekend I installed coilovers from GAZ (from the UK). I've ordered the front struts pre-welded so I wouldn't need to weld by myself. At the back everything is totally ok, no problems. However, the front...

The coilover seem to be correctly installed.. Everything lines up perfect and all the bolts fit properly! My standard rims, which have the great sizes of 14inch, 6.5J and offset 30 will fit when the front is all up. I can't lower it to much otherwise the spring will hit the rim. No problem so far is what you think.
    But then.. I've some Schmidt Modern Lines with sizes 16inch, 9J and offset 8. I've thousands examples of e30's running setups like this.. But given the fact that the original rims need spacers, I will never be able to fit the Schmidts!
    As can be seen in the picture:

The 9J,offset 8 rim will always be a bit wider towards the coilover.. I will need a spacer of about 20mm (then it becomes on offset of about -12) to fit rims like these. Can't be good.. It's a ridiculous offset! As said before, there are so many examples of e30's running a setup like this.. I guess you guys know that

Anyone has an explanation? Anyone running GAZ coils?

Many thanks.
    Last edited by Rubens; 03-19-2012, 03:39 PM.

Maybe the springs are too large?
    However if your new rims have lower offset and are larger shouldn't they push out and then be higher above the spring perches?

Comment

Yeah, the shop wants to give me shorter springs. But this will only solve the problem for my original wheels, because these don't hit the strut right now. With shorter springs, I should be able to lower the platform of the spring.
      But it will not solve the problem of wider wheels. A rim of 16" 9J et8 should fit on an E30, but it doesnt. It will always hit the strut now.

Comment

Got any pictures of the set up? Is it hitting the strut or the spring?

Need pics to show where its fouling the coils!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Clearance is a few mm.

Comment

is that the 14" or 16"?

I did this very crude drawing in paint.
            Since the strut sits at an angle compared to the spindles, you gain more inner clearance with a larger diameter wheel. I did the math and you only lose 10mm with the new 16x9" wheel. this should not be a problem at all, since you are stepping up to a 16" wheel. and if it hits you only need a very small spacer to clear the strut.

now that we got that under control. if the new wheel hits the spring/spring perch. you got a different problem. this is caused by a spring that is too tall for the application that you are trying to run. If you switch the spring out to a shorter one, you can spin the spring perch further up the strut and thus clearing the wheel.

Also switching to narrower tires help. And losing the helper spring. If you don't know what a helper spring is, its a spring that is fully compressed when the car is on the ground and acts like a spacer. but when you jack up the car, the spring expands and holds the main spring in place, to make sure the main spring sits in the right spot when you put the car back down on the ground.

__________________________________________________ __________

This is my car, i think this is a prime example of running short springs. this is a 17x10. The springs are only 5"

This is how high it sits, tho with 8.5" in the front with this picture. If i was running other more "normal" coil overs, KW, FK etc etc. i am pretty sure the spring would foul with the 17x10 wheel. Since those coil overs have longer springs also helper springs etc.

Good luck with the project, let me know if this helps. or if you need some other info.
            -Instagram@jdjurhuus
            Stretchsaurus and Pokemon.

Comment

Hey, got your PMs. I wish I knew how to help, but your problem doesn't make sense to me. I have GAZ coils, and am running a 16x9.5 wheel up front with -1 offset. I think the highest offset you can go on the front of an E30 is +5. Try stacking a small spacer up front and see if you can clear the wheels them. I know my setup literally has a credit cards clearance between the inner barrel and strut housing

Vintage European Shop Blog

Like Us On Facebook

Motorsport Hardware-->4/5 Lug Stud Conversion Kits available CLICK HERE

Comment

Thanks for the answers both!

@ Zic, the rim in the picture is 14", so your 'story' should hold. Didn't think of this at all.. Thanks
                Don't have a helper spring, so I think a shorter spring on the front is the way to go. This week I'll try to lower the car as much as the perch will let me with the current spring and rims. The current spring is about 8".

@ Lucky, thanks for the info. Now I've an idea what's certainly possible!

Comment

8" is def too tall..

Comment

I had 16x9 et10 up front and that was the absolute lowest i could go before hitting the tube. I have stretched tires. Go BC racing!

Originally Posted by slammin.e28guy
                    [i]I love dressing up!

But no really, I like to look distinguished when I step out of the car. People are like, "wonder what he does for living."
                    I just reply, "your daughter, sir."

Massimo: You like the stance cars don't you?

Comment

Thanks for the replies!

This is the lowest I can go right now.. Need shorter spring up front and rear. In the rear the perch is still there, removing it will only lower the rear by 0.5 inch or so.

Comment

Does not seem like those coil overs were designed to be on the low low side.

Anyways, are you looking into selling the car?
                        -Instagram@jdjurhuus
                        Stretchsaurus and Pokemon.

Comment

Originally posted by Zic View Post
                          Does not seem like those coil overs were designed to be on the low low side.

Anyways, are you looking into selling the car?
                          If you offer me a shit load of money, yeah! Only has 73,000 km!

Comment

Working...
                          X