Fitting air ride in tight spaces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fitting air ride in tight spaces

I'm planning to install air suspension in my r129 SL, if anyone knows these car - you'll know that space is extremely limited in the trunk. I'm not designing a show car but want something very practical, still want to maintain access to the spare wheel etc. Does anyone have any photos or ideas where the kit can be tucked away?

Lots of VW guys do installs in their spare tire wells, which tend to be very space-efficient, if not the prettiest of installs. The air tank is going to be your primary space consumer. I'd have a look at pancake tanks and the new AVS slim tanks.

You're also welcome to have a look at my install in my build thread, which is pretty space-efficient and still manages to be not completely hideous, if I do say so myself.
    Last edited by Oh Damn, it's Sam; 12-27-2014, 10:11 PM.

Comment

Something outside the box...

From the switches to your compressors, everything you need to know about Air Management.

Comment

^ You know, I've seen your thread before, but somehow I never connected it to your name. That is a rad install. Way outside the box.

Comment

Wow that's a cool install, I love the way that you've saved that precious trunk space. The SL has a fair bit of space under the bonnet, I need to find someone in the uk who has the balls to do something like that.

Comment

Thanks. Parted it out last year and bought a new car, but it was a fun install. There's another Z3 on air, and he put his management in the same spot. The tank is behind the seats though.

Look all around the car for open spaces to tuck components- under the hood, behind the bumpers, behind the dash (delete the glove box), in the center console, behind the seats, inside the spare tire, in the passenger footwell. If there's a good amount of space behind one or both of the bumpers, it's not too difficult to have a custom shape air tank made.

Comment

Originally posted by KyleAnderson View Post
              Thanks. Parted it out last year and bought a new car, but it was a fun install. There's another Z3 on air, and he put his management in the same spot. The tank is behind the seats though.

Look all around the car for open spaces to tuck components- under the hood, behind the bumpers, behind the dash (delete the glove box), in the center console, behind the seats, inside the spare tire, in the passenger footwell. If there's a good amount of space behind one or both of the bumpers, it's not too difficult to have a custom shape air tank made.
              What considerations need to be taken in regards to running airlines near a hot engine?

Comment

The lines will be able to withstand reasonable heat in the engine bay. Use common sense in routing them. For extra protection I covered all of mine with a silicone/fiberglass heat and abrasion resistant sleeve. Got a good deal on a roll of 1/4" on ebay.

Comment

Working...
                X