Car not airring up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car not airring up

Air is going in my tank, but the car is not airing up. I can air down, and air back up but it only goes up to 30PSI. It was working fine last week, only this week I've been having issues.

I have two compressors, but one stopped working last week(it actually stopped working, then was working yesterday and is not working again).Not sure if this has anything to do with it, I'm a newb when it comes to air suspension. Any suggestions as to what I should do? It's a K-Sport kit.

Here's the setup:

Last edited by pro; 05-29-2014, 05:40 PM.
    sigpic
    ig: @theaccredited

Is your tank making it to full pressure, or is it stalling at 30 psi as well?

What is your valve setup?

I'd try pulling the bad compressor out of the loop and see what happens. Viair compressors are deliberately leaky to eliminate the necessity of an unloader valve, and with their typical cheesy check valves, I wouldn't be surprised to see all the air your one compressor makes leaking back out through the bad one.

Comment

I don't have a gauge on the tank, so I'm not sure. The tank does fill with air though, when I open the "bleed valve"(for the water) air blows out.

They are manual valves. (not sure if that's what you're talking about---like I said I'm a newb)

Interesting about the compressor. I'll have to give that a try. Only thing is earlier this week it was working on only one compressor.

sigpic

Comment

The deliberate leak that Viair compressors have is a slow one, so it's entirely possible that a leak back to a nonfunctioning compressor would allow some, but not much, pressure to build in the tank.

If you allow the functioning compressor to run, does it shut off within about 10 minutes, or does it just run indefinitely? If the comp is shutting off, that's a pretty good indicator that the tank is filling correctly, though throwing a real live gauge on the tank is a more reliable measure.

Those paddle valves you've got are pretty reliable gear, and there's nothing in there that's likely to cause the bags to fail to inflate. My guess is that there's a failure somewhere in the compressor section of your kit - a bad check valve on either compressor would do it. Since you're saying the system worked okay with one dead comp previously, it's possible you've got a failed check valve on the good comp. You're going to have to start eliminating variables by removing components from the system. The first step is to disco that dead comp and see what happens. If no change there, try swapping the check valve on the good comp - you could swap leader hoses for a start, or throw an SMC valve on. SMC valves are all of $25 or so, and they're good insurance anyway since the Viair check valves aren't the best. Just for shits and giggles, you might check the feed line from your tank to your valves, just to make sure there's no kinks or anything stupid there too, though that'll typically limit flow rate, not pressure so much.

Keep us posted!

Comment

wait.. how is this a problem?
          '82 Volvo 242 build
          '73 Datsun 240z build

Comment

Originally posted by Oh Damn, it's Sam View Post
            The deliberate leak that Viair compressors have is a slow one, so it's entirely possible that a leak back to a nonfunctioning compressor would allow some, but not much, pressure to build in the tank.

If you allow the functioning compressor to run, does it shut off within about 10 minutes, or does it just run indefinitely? If the comp is shutting off, that's a pretty good indicator that the tank is filling correctly, though throwing a real live gauge on the tank is a more reliable measure.

Those paddle valves you've got are pretty reliable gear, and there's nothing in there that's likely to cause the bags to fail to inflate. My guess is that there's a failure somewhere in the compressor section of your kit - a bad check valve on either compressor would do it. Since you're saying the system worked okay with one dead comp previously, it's possible you've got a failed check valve on the good comp. You're going to have to start eliminating variables by removing components from the system. The first step is to disco that dead comp and see what happens. If no change there, try swapping the check valve on the good comp - you could swap leader hoses for a start, or throw an SMC valve on. SMC valves are all of $25 or so, and they're good insurance anyway since the Viair check valves aren't the best. Just for shits and giggles, you might check the feed line from your tank to your valves, just to make sure there's no kinks or anything stupid there too, though that'll typically limit flow rate, not pressure so much.

Keep us posted!
            thanks man.

I took off the other compressor and put a gauge on it. Although the "good" compressor runs, it wont get higher than 30psi. So...I guess the "good" compressor is bad. Ordering some new ones now.

Thanks!
            sigpic

Comment

Before you go replacing your compressors, you might want to go ahead and take a look at your check valve on the good compressor. $25 for a new check valve is a lot better than $200 for a new compressor.

It might be worthwhile to try and figure out what has failed on your bad compressor as well. A Viair comp is a pretty simple device, and there's not much to go wrong on them. It might be as simple as a loose wire.

Comment

Working...
              X