Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sleeve, bellows or bellows over stock in a narrow strut tower, help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sleeve, bellows or bellows over stock in a narrow strut tower, help!

Hey guys, I've got a 1980 626 with a narrow strut tower, and was hopeful that those of you with more air experience could provide some good input. The car technically uses a macpherson style front strut, but the spindle is also the bottom of the strut (just like a first gen RX7), so traditional 2 bolt macpherson lowers won't work.

The flat cut on the inboard side is where my clearance problem lies. Forward to aft the tower is 7", but the narrowest part of the flat cut is only 6.5", while most kits seem to call for 7" of clearance.

Based off of Air Lifts builders chart:

It seems like I could use 75563 or 75564 if I trimmed the upper mounting plate and made sure that the fitting at the top of the strut wasn't oriented inward, while avoiding any clearance issues with the sleeve rubbing on the tower. Whereas the double convoluted style bags look like they'd be awfully close to the sheet metal, especially on the inboard side. The only other option I've seen is the "Aero Sport" by Universal Air.

The stock strut tube is narrow enough, even at the gland nut to slide these over the factory unit, and the specs indicate that they would fit within my tower, but I don't know of anyone who has used these, so I haven't been able to get any feedback from an actual person on them.

I really want to get this done so that the car will lay out lower when she's parked but be able to get over speed bumps, in and out of driveways, etc without beating the snot out of the car.
    Last edited by MrVito; 02-15-2013, 01:26 PM.

Any recommendations?

Comment

Working...
    X