advice on cutting open a strut?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• advice on cutting open a strut?

going to have a go at cutting a strut open, its a sealed type with no removable insert.
    The top looks likes its just crimped. So if I un-crimp it how much pressure is inside?

what are you trying to accomplish?

build thread?

Comment

I am going to fit some rolling sleeve bags to my front struts, just got some Range Rover units and some Audi Q7 units to play with. Plan is to maybe hack up and modify the bags to use on my struts. I will have to weld mounts etc to my struts so I assume the struts have to be opened due to the pressurized gas inside?

Comment

Sounds about like what I'm going to be doing with my Volvo. I'll be using '06 Lincoln Navigator bags up front, and Continental/MarkVIII bags out back.

Easiest way to relieve the pressure inside the strut is to drill a small hole in the side or bottom of the casing, and allow the fluid and pressure to drain from there. Its' much less messy and easier to seal. If there aren't any strut cartridge inserts available for them though I'd be wary of cutting them open, as they'll never work the same as when they had pressurized fluid inside them.

You should be able to tack weld perches if you're quick and allow them to cool completely in between welds. I've never had a shock explode on me even being a bit aggressive with tack welds using a MIG.
        - Bagged '98 Chevy S10 - Stock '88 Volvo 240DL - Broken '87 Mitsubishi Starion ESi-R - Also Broken '87 Shelby Lancer #707/800 -

Comment

Working...
        X