Airbag Noob Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Airbag Noob Questions

Had a few questions about bagging that are very general (not involving the car model itself) and searching the forum is bringing way too many results. I will be bagging the front once I get enough money to assemble all the parts required. Rear is staying static, maybe bagged in the future.

What I have so far:
    • (2x) Universal Air AeroSport bags (single convoluted slip over strut bag)
    • (2x) Front McPhearson strut bag mounts (upper and lower + upper bearings)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What I'm assuming I need to buy with my limited airbag knowledge:
    • Air tank (Friend has a 3 gallon to sell)
    • Compressor. (Friend also wants to sell me a Viar 450 single. I heard this is good)
    • Some sort of gauge/switch. I just want to go up and down in the front, at the same time. If I somehow had it limited to only two positions that would be even better.
    • Valves, fittings, hoses, wiring

Anything missing? I've heard all kinds of terms thrown around like manifolds, line heaters, water traps, etc.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My other questions are:
    • If an airbag is 4" fully deflated and 9" inflated, is it okay if I ride with the bags at 6" all the time?
    • Should I go ahead and make custom upper plates and use the supplied upper bearings instead of the factory (recently replaced) upper strut mounts? I'm told this will net you another 1" of drop so I can ride low with the bag further inflated.
    • Do people usually run their air lines under the car, or inside?

Any help is greatly appreciated! Also I'd appreciate if you kept your opinions about the car to yourself as I'm not interested kthnxbye. On topic only.
    | 92 Corolla AE92 | HKS SMF, Testpipe, Hyperco/Tokico/GC | Houston, TX | 86Garage |

U usually don't base yourself on the height of the air bag. You use pressure for guidance. Yeah it's a lot easier to route your air lines outside than it is inside of a car. Just be careful and follow fuel, or brake lines.

Periodically look down there and make sure the lines aren't loose or hanging down. Used to have 1/2" lines for 5-6 years and no problems.
    Last edited by rgarjr; 08-10-2012, 10:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rgarjr View Post
      U usually don't base yourself on the height of the air bag. You use pressure for guidance. Yeah it's a lot easier to route your air lines outside than it is inside of a car. Just be careful and follow fuel, or brake lines.

Periodically look down there and make sure the lines aren't loose or hanging down. Used to have 1/2" lines for 5-6 years and no problems.
      Thanks man. Yeah I understand about rating the height in PSI. Im just going by the height I want. I dont want to damage a bag by driving 2" above its maximum deflation if that hurts it.

Are you running rubber lines or steel?
      | 92 Corolla AE92 | HKS SMF, Testpipe, Hyperco/Tokico/GC | Houston, TX | 86Garage |

Comment

Working...
      X