X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lot of work to do..

Comment

• Does anyone know where to find that Diamond Bright Truck Box Polish? I've searched all my local stores and none carry the stuff?

I have some new wheels, just wanna strip the clear off and make those babies glow! Any good alternatives to the Truck Box Polish? Would the Maguires wheels polish kit be sufficient?

Comment

• what would be the steps to polish a lip like this
        Attached Files

Comment

• Great DIY!
          NathanHeeney.com

Comment

• This is a great thread! but I need help on how I should polish the lips on my rims since I can't take them off, also they go into the rim. I don't have a power drill of any sort so ill probably be doing it buy hand so any help on steps and products is appreciated!!

IMG_2732 by Simpson.Photography, on Flickr

IMG_2733 by Simpson.Photography, on Flickr

Comment

• First you'll need them off the car, use aircraft stripper on them be becareful not to get it on the painted parts/centers of the wheel. I use small paintbrushes to get in tight areas, you cant really mask it off becouse the stripper gets under the tape and ruins everything. Always wear gloves! let it sit and then wash it off after 15-20 mins. they should be really shiney after the faded chipped clearcoat is removed.
              then if you want more shine, polish them more.
              I usually finish with a couple good coats of wax.
              1991 Galant VR4
              1993 GMC typhoon

Comment

• Originally posted by asmo View Post
                First you'll need them off the car, use aircraft stripper on them be becareful not to get it on the painted parts/centers of the wheel. I use small paintbrushes to get in tight areas, you cant really mask it off becouse the stripper gets under the tape and ruins everything. Always wear gloves! let it sit and then wash it off after 15-20 mins. they should be really shiney after the faded chipped clearcoat is removed.
                then if you want more shine, polish them more.
                I usually finish with a couple good coats of wax.
                Thank you sir

Comment

• how often do you guys have to re wax the wheels?

Comment

• So I was able to find most of the basic stuff from this thread the only thing i'm not sure about is the stripper. I went to my local Ace Hardware store and they didn't have air craft stripper but he suggested another ( pictured below ). Will this one work also or should I take it back?

polishing gear by Simpson.Photography, on Flickr

Comment

• Question for the Mother's Powerball folk...

For 2/3-piece wheels with step lips and wheel bolts, BBS LM's for example, Powerball Mini or Powercone? I've heard horror stories of the ball shredding apart.

Comment

• Lots of good info in here. When I got my wheels back in May 3 of the 4 were in decent shape and the one really needed some work. The 3 decent ones I just hit with some McGuire's Ultimate Compound and then Mothers Mag/Aluminum Polish. They turned out ok but this winter I plan to take them all the way apart and do them the right way. The one wheel turned out really good. I'll let the pics do the talking.

This was the really bad wheel:

Here is the first wheel I did with just compound and polish. It looks good from far but up close its kinda dull. I'm not sure what is on the lips but they really need to be sanded down to fresh aluminum:

I was able to get all the rust looking stuff off the bad wheel but it left a line like this:

They must have been coated with something from the factory. I'm not quite sure.

After a lot of wetsanding I was able to get rid of that line:

The full wheel:

Then I did the compound and polish:

and the full wheel again:

I did the wesanding in these step: 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1500, 2000, and 3000, then the compound and polish.

I think when I do them again this winter I want to do 600, 800, 1000, and then use more aggressive compounds. I read somewhere if you use more aggressive compounds the aluminum doesn't fade like it would if you use higher grit sandpaper. I'm not sure if that's true or not but I want to try it and see.

I then waxed all the lips with Turtle Wax Ice Synthetic Paste. Stuff works really well. I'd recommend it.

The Kia has been parted.

Comment

• Comment

• If your wheels are already polished, and you want them a little shinier would a basic polish be fine, or would i have to re-polish the hole wheel.

Comment

• I refinished these RS' and when I polished the lips I did 320, 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1500, and 2000. I probably should have finished with a finer grit but it looks pretty good. They weren't in terrible condition to begin with.

2005 Subaru STI

Comment

• I've done a few sets recently. Shitty pictures, but whatever.

Sawbladez. So trend.

Porsche 928's

Panasport lips, and repainted the centers.

Originally posted by FluidMotorUnion
                                Fuck Rotas, I'd rather my wheels not break apart when I drive over a watermelon seed.

Comment

Working...
                                X