Wheel Wax?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel Wax?

Hey all, I will be getting my RF's back hopefully this coming week and I will be putting them together. I wanted to do whatever I can to protect them from brake dust and other crap. Is there a wheel specific wax (safe on raw, polished lips, etc.) that I can use prior to assembly in order to aid in keeping them clean?

If there are any you recommend or something else you guys use to protect your polished-or otherwise-3 piece wheels, let me know!

Thanks.

Yes and it works great!

All the Poorboys products are killer products.

http://www.autogeek.net/pbws.html

Also, if you have a shop that carries Duragloss products they are one my favorites as well.

The only OTC detailing product I use is Zymol blue cleaner wax and Duragloss but its sometimes hard to find either. Odd enough Target carries the Zymol dirt cheap. I used it on my painted wheels and it worked great on those also.

You'll find all the best products online at places like I linked above.
    Last edited by Lux; 05-31-2010, 07:35 AM.

Comment

The lip on my wheels is polished aluminum with no clear coat. I bought this stuff called Zoopseal for $100. The online reviews look pretty good. It arrives this week, I'll let you know what I think of it.

Comment

ive always heard amazing things about poorboy products as well!
        i'll be buying some this upcoming week

Comment

just ordered some of the poorboys stuff...cant go wrong at that price.

thanks guys!

Comment

put some before and after pics up when you use it please!?!?!

Comment

deal!

Comment

I'm more of a fan of sealants, the longevity of most waxes just don't cut it for wheels especially. Since the reflection on a mirror metal surface hides defects much better than clear-coated paint, you can sacrifice a bit of the depth and glow that carnauba provides. The sealant will give you a much higher degree of protection (as its a synthetic chemical with smaller molecules vs. a natural wax that has a larger molecualr weight), and its gloss and shine rival the carnauba counterparts.

Just my $0.02. Favorite sealant atm is chemical guys jetseal 109. Stuff is amazing on my LMs! Great shine and I've had a coat on there for at least a month now with no signs of it letting up soon

"Auto Detailing by Jake," servicing the Southern California auto enthusiast community.

Detailing Dough --> College dues. Which leaves $____ for e36. D'oh.

Comment

The PB is a sealant. The first winter I had my latest wheels I had them off the entire season and I loaded up the sealant. Lasted months. I use it over the winter on my painted winter wheels and I have no problems with road salts or anything.

Chem guys has some great stuff but I prefer the Dodo Juice.

After some sealant I load up some Dodo Juice Rain Forest Rub.

I got a huge collection of Dodo Juice stuff.

Thats my #1.

Both Poor Boys and Dodo Juice last so long I usually have to use HD cleanse or something to the nature to remove whats on and re apply just for good measure.

Now, why dont SW have a detailing board?
                  Last edited by Lux; 06-01-2010, 08:17 AM.

Comment

SW should have a detailing board, lol.

I cant wait for the PB stuff to get here so I can see how it really is...the wheels should look goooooood

Comment

whether sealant or wax, it won't last if you use a wheels specific cleaner. even safe wheels cleaners like P21S will strip sealants or waxes. If it can break down bonded break dust, then waxes and sealants are no match. If you do use a sealant or wax, you need to stay on top of your wheels and just use car wash soap. but not too much either because high concentrations of car wash soap can strip the wax and sealant over time.

I use waxes only right before a show, to give the wheels a bit more gloss.
                      Prime Motoring
                      Detailing, Parts and Accessories

Comment

Good thread. I'm having a hard time keeping my lm20's clean! I'm gonna re-polish my wheels and give the poorboy sealant a try.

Comment

I never use wheel specific cleaners. I had way to many bad experiences with even the most wheel friendly ones.

If my wheels get that bad I use dish soap and YES I do know that it can strip wax and sealants so I make sure to re apply.

PB was amazing on my painted wheels the first time I used it. Its like a added extra thick coat of clear coat.

Comment

So no one uses a more permanent sealant like Zoopseal? It's supposed to last 2-3 years, so you don't have to keep reapplying it.

I looked at the Poorboy's stuff, but didn't want keep reapplying around all the bolts. Sounds like a PITA to keep it from building up and then scraping it out.

Comment

zoopseal dosent work for shit for what it costs

i been using klasse sealant
                              and p2s wax

works good an is cost effective

Comment

Working...
                              X