Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ? about Falken ZE512's

Hey guys,

I need new tires very soon. I recently massage my rear fenders a bit more, bit this time with a cutting wheel and put some spacer on my rears. DEAD flush

Well, I have 18x9 and 18x10 currently with 235/40-18 and 265/35-18 Michelin PS2's. They slightly roll.

Do you think a Falken ZE-512 in a 235 or 245 /40 and 265 /35 would stretch a bit? All I want is to align my rim lip edge to the fender.

I still want wide tires kinda...so help me out guys. Thanks!
    -BMW Master Technician

Falken stopped making the 512's and Discount Tire Direct can't get any more. This is what DTD told me over the phone Tuesday.

I'm sure you could get a same-sized skinnier tire to stretch more, but theres really no point as they will have way less grip than those PS2's, which I assume defeats the reason you want to keep the same sizes in the first place.

Comment

i'd just go one size down, wont be a big difference.

ig: @jonnie86

Comment

Good luck finding falking 512's !

- my homie drove from Houston to Austin just to buy some .. lol

Comment

Discount Tire Direct has them but like Byron said, Falken discontinued them. From what I was told, Falken made a deal with Discount Tire Direct to be the only supplier for the 512 series. On the website, they do have them, but I would call just incase.

Fuzion zri stretches about the same as Falken 512s I think, or you could always go with a smaller tire.

-Dan

Comment

Yokohama s drives are by far better stretch and alot better ride in wet/dry then falken 512's

And yes everyone is correct about the 512's

Comment

Fail. They have a few left in thier eBay auctions. Yea going back to a 512 from the PS2 is murder.

Maybe drop down to 225/40 and 255/35 PS2's?

Any other tire suggestions? $1400 on tires doesn't look to pleasing. I believe a Dunlop DZ101 on the 265/35-18 has the look I want. I'd assume the 235/40-18 would have the same look on a 9"

Last edited by JackEatsEmoKids; 05-29-2010, 08:50 AM.
              -BMW Master Technician

Comment

Honestly you need to be narrower than at least the nominal rim width to just pull tight, let alone stretch. 235 nominally a 9.25" tyre so its no stretch on a 9" rim. So more like 215s and 235s on your rim widths.
                Last edited by seventhskyline; 05-29-2010, 09:37 AM.

Comment

+1. What do you mean you still want wide tires?

Your not gunna sit flush with anything more than square if even that.

Personally I dont think its wise for people to dump hundreds of dollars on tires they are going to stretch. But thats just me.

That being said Federal is a decent tire with a low price tag lots of people use. I heard lots of good stuff about them on VSC. Lots of those guys swear by 'em.

Comment

Originally posted by Dust View Post
                    Yokohama s drives are by far better stretch and alot better ride in wet/dry then falken 512's

And yes everyone is correct about the 512's
                    I keep hearing this but in my oppinion the s.drives suck for stretching. But this brings up the question of what makes a tire good to stretch. My deciding factor for this is if the tire will give more room to the fender than a same sized other tire. The s.drives, from what I've seen, look to run wide and still have lots of sidewall even with the lip, even on large stretches (215 on a 10, etc.). I like the 512's because they start moving away from the wheel lip with barely any stretch (ex. 205 on a 8). This lets you put the lip way more even to the car while going lower.

best comp. shots I could find. Both are 205/40's on a 9

512's

s.drives

Comment

Originally posted by Lux View Post
                      +1. What do you mean you still want wide tires?

Your not gunna sit flush with anything more than square if even that.

Personally I dont think its wise for people to dump hundreds of dollars on tires they are going to stretch. But thats just me.

That being said Federal is a decent tire with a low price tag lots of people use. I heard lots of good stuff about them on VSC. Lots of those guys swear by 'em.

Well that picture above is a 265 on an 18x10. Which the fender and wheel sit flush. Exactly what I want. I don't literally want a stretched tire. I want a tire with a sidewall that moves in a bit.

I don't want to run a 215 and 235 on my car, especially when it's going to have 500HP. I think I'm going to try out some 225 or 235 /40s and 265/35s in a Dunlop DZ101.

Thanks for the help guys
                      -BMW Master Technician

Comment

Sorry but 512s are the worst tires i've ever had. The compound is too soft for cambering and will wear out in months. I had to replace a brand new set of 512s with michelin ps2s in 6 months. Yes, they stretch and have the lip protector but they are just tooo soft and shitty.

Comment

Working...
                        X