BBS LM center mounting option Q's...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BBS LM center mounting option Q's...

I recently was able to purchase a set of used LMs for my mkv gti. While having them apart to refurbish them I noticed that I could mount them to the barrel by either setting the center in from the front/lip like BBS does from the factory, or from behind/inner barrel.

Here is a pic of the standard fitment followed by a shot of wheel that has the center mounted the way I want to mount my own centers:

I am curious as to if I need to machine the edge surface down on the center where it mounts the barrel as to keep it flush and prevent warping of any sort around the recesses in the center as seen here:

I was thinking of trying to find washers to maybe use as a shim to flush up the surfaces a bit to avoid cutting into these wheels. The main advantages in doing this way is looks and the fact it acts as a 10-15mm spacer when mounted from the rear!

Anybody who could give some advice on how to accomplish this look and make it work safely, I would appreciate it greatly!

I actually just dropped my wheels of for paint the other day and told them I was going to reverse mount mine as well. They had originally recommended me to get my faces machined, but since mine were 18's they ended sitting perfectly flush.

What size are your wheels? When I went to the sop they had a set of 19 inch LM's, and they needed to machine the faces to fit, but my 18's were fine.

I would recommend machining them if they need to be, for safety reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by grenas17 View Post
      I actually just dropped my wheels of for paint the other day and told them I was going to reverse mount mine as well. They had originally recommended me to get my faces machined, but since mine were 18's they ended sitting perfectly flush.

What size are your wheels? When I went to the sop they had a set of 19 inch LM's, and they needed to machine the faces to fit, but my 18's were fine.

I would recommend machining them if they need to be, for safety reasons.
      They are 18"s. My fronts are et42 rear 50et. I need to figure out if the bolts need to be slightly longer as well if I don't machine either, it's maybe a 32nd longer distance by reverse mounting. I will update the thread with whatever I end up doing.

Comment

The centers are at the machine shop now and I should have them mounted soon!

Comment

sweet, post pics when you get em

ig: @jonnie86

Comment

Originally posted by Tuck&Poke View Post
            sweet, post pics when you get em
            Made up a new thread to show off the whole little project for the wheels BBS LM rebuild

Comment

Interesting, I had no idea this could be done.

Comment

Working...
              X