Clear coat on lips? Blitz Techno Speeds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clear coat on lips? Blitz Techno Speeds

I just purchased wheels, figured I would polish them up and get the entire lip clear coated. I noticed these wheels have a clear coated edge of lip, about 1" in around the curved area then the flat area is not clear coated.

I tried aircraft stripper and it did not even make it bubble, sanded it down with 800 grit and applied 3-4 more coats waiting 15 minutes inbetween and nothing happened.

Any ideas? The flat part and the clear coated portion were sanded with 800, you can see the direct line where the clear coat ends.

Here is before sanding may help show.

This is after.

Im fairly certain these are not cleared from the factory. Likely anodized.

OZ, MSW, ABT, Carlsson, etc 10 point bolt tools info

Comment

It looks like someone polished the rim edge to remove any curb rash, and left the factory anodize on the flat portion of the lip.
      @sd262 - instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Icana4dit View Post
        It looks like someone polished the rim edge to remove any curb rash, and left the factory anodize on the flat portion of the lip.
        Spot-on. The edge was polished, likely to repair curb rash.

Comment

Originally posted by monsterlord
          We need some details here, sports7 like what kind of wheels and what amount of damage
          Goddamn spammers are getting clever.

OZ, MSW, ABT, Carlsson, etc 10 point bolt tools info

Comment

These are enkei lips, blitz centers, from factory.

All 4 have the exact same line, in the exact same location, if its factory anodized how could I tell?

Comment

You can spot a direct line where the clear turns into exposed aluminum.

Comment

I found that this greased lightening product removes anodozing, so I tried using that one a wheel and it did not do anything.

Here is a photo, the wheel still has the protective clearcoat, not really sure what my options are.

It looks like in the photo it has no clear coat due to the scratches but all the scratches are in the clear and not the metal under.

EDIT: I showed a local wheel refinishing shop pictures and they said its bright dip anodized.
                Last edited by ChrisJuliano; 04-21-2015, 03:26 PM.

Comment

The Greased Lightning trick removes the dye from an anodized surface, but does not remove the aluminum oxide layer.

Caswell offers an anodize stripper that appears to get good reviews. I have no experience with it, but it's inexpensive.

Otherwise, a solution of heated phosphoric acid, chromic acid, and water will remove the aluminum oxide layer without damaging the aluminum underneath. You can find the relevant concentrations in Military Specification MIL-A-8625F. You will want to take appropriate precautions, as both acids are extremely caustic and form fumes at high temperatures.

A sodium hydroxide solution will also work, but tends to etch the aluminum underneath.
                  Last edited by Oh Damn, it's Sam; 04-21-2015, 03:30 PM.

Comment

Thanks so much! I emailed caswell I am going to see what they have to say.

I am ready to just sandblast these and repolish, would take forever but so sick of trying things that do not work.

Comment

You gave me the wrong email. Please email me info@ewheelworks.com
                      EHRLICH WHEELWORKS
                      ewheelworks.com
                      facebook - Ehrlich WheelsWorks
                      IG - ewheelworks
                      Custom Powder coating, custom wheels, and custom metal finishing.

Comment

Working...
                      X