Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finding 5x108 wheels with the correct specs: Mission Impossible?...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding 5x108 wheels with the correct specs: Mission Impossible?...

Hi guys,

Long time reader here, but finally out and about and on the hunt for a set of wheels!
    I'm looking for a set of 16 inch 5x108 ET43 wheels, 8.0J wide. Thing is, they just can't be found! I'm quite keen on keeping the stock offset (or at least stay as close as possible to it) to maintain stock scrub radius, thus maintaining stock steering geometry. It's already been a tough search, with wheels way beyond budget (sanity in my case mainly) and wheels with wrong offsets, wrong sizing or just shitty designs. I've looked at stock wheels from Ford, Shaguar, Peugeot and other volvos, but I'm not feeling it yet...

Does anybody have a suggestion?
    If shit can happen, shit's bound to happen.

Same here, looking for some nice wheels for my Volvo 960, but it's very hard.

Comment

Some Renaults and Ferraris have 5x108 too...
      Also you could look at 5x110...

17x8 Pegasus may suit you needs...

What do you drive?

Comment

Find Mercedes wheels and re-drill them? Something close to 5x108 PCD so the opening would not have to be machined much.

OZ, MSW, ABT, Carlsson, etc 10 point bolt tools info

Comment

Thanks for the quick replies Guys!
          I'm driving a Volvo 850 wagon, on which 17 inch wheels in my opinion are not the best option,comfort and mainly looks-wise... Pegasus wheels are quite nice, but to me are a bit played out. Volans are great as well, but the same thing as with the Pegasus: bit to big and played out...

The option of redrilling: offset will still be a problem and I'm not sure if redrilling is as sturdy of an option...
          Ferrari wheels: could as well go for pure gold I'm afraid...
          Last edited by DC95; 02-28-2015, 04:15 PM. Reason: Bad auto-correct from phone

Comment

IMO for the 850 17s are a good option.., 215/45 or 225/45 are cheap, enough comfort...
            And redrilling will not effect the offset...

There is a set of RS on the 'Kleinanzeigen' here in germany, iirc the are 16x8 ET30...

Last time i checked, a (Ferrari) set went out at about 650€ on ebay.

Comment

Hmm, seems I was a bit unclear about the redrilling and offset thing: what I meant was that Mercedes wheels(for example) have quite a different offset, so even with a correct bolt pattern these won't cut it.

And the wheel/tire size: I like the look of 215/45's on volans under an 850, but somehow I'm attracted to 205/50's on a 16x8 wheel, which would give the car in combination with soms lowering a Nice 'solid' stance if you get the idea.

Thing with Ferrari wheels is that you have to be lucky I guess, last set I went after had to cost nearly 2000 euro...

Renault I haven't looked at I think, will do that as well!

Comment

Get some widened Virgos dude.

Comment

To the OP. Do some more research, you are not well informed(on prices, re drilling, offsets).

Comment

FWIW, there are gobs of MB wheels in the ET44 range. I suspect that's what Mr. Zoo has in mind.

Comment

Thanks for the info Sam! I'm not that acqainted with Mercedes wheels and it's an option I hafn't researched that much. To mr. Zoo: wheelprices here in the Netherlands are quit high it seems and I'm not 'in the business' or acqainted to people who are or know good deals. I'm just going by the info I've gotten from some people and what I can find on the internet.

And redrilling: it's something I'm a bit unsure about. To me it seems that it changes the physical properties of the wheel quite a bit which can't be good?...

I have a little breakthrough in my searches though: Ive found a nice Jaguar wheel which is 16x8, 5x108 but I 'm still looking for the offset.

http://m.kleinanzeigen.ebay.de/s-anz...6377-223-15602

Edit: fuck me, they were 5x120... And to add to that is that they are not so common to find it seems...
                      Last edited by DC95; 03-01-2015, 04:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DC95 View Post
                        And redrilling: it's something I'm a bit unsure about. To me it seems that it changes the physical properties of the wheel quite a bit which can't be good?...
                        Properly-done, it's completely safe.

Comment

Thanks for the input Sam!

Right now I'm researching the possibilities of safely running MB wheels or other 5x112 wheels on the volvo hubs just by using wobble bolts. I'm not completely sure though if the woble bolts will be as good of an mounting hardware option as normal bolts. Size-wise though it could work perfectly!

I'll keep you guys posted!

Comment

You cannot use wobble bolts, 4mm is too much of a difference in the PCD.
                            I believe their limit is 2.5mm

Comment

Steel seating and repositioning to 108 can be done to make up 4mm diameter difference without any issue on pretty much any 5x112 wheel
                              sigpic
                              1990 Nissan fairlady Z32 - long term build
                              1982 euro porsche 930 turbo

"A less- assuming enthusiast probably wouldnt even think that this Z ran because of how naked the engine compartment was. The motor looks as if it just floats there, with nothing else in sight." Super Street 9/2012

http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=19185

Comment

Working...
                              X