OZ Futura Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OZ Futura Rebuild

Got in a set of completely original Futuras a while back that I am planning on rebuilding. So I figured I would make this thread as a reference for anybody else who might need it.

The wheels are 17x8.5" et+13f (2.5" Lips & 6" Barrels) and 17x10" et+19r (3" Lips & 7" Barrels)

Going on my e36 328i sedan.

Depending on my suspension setup, once I decide to go either static or air, I might rebuild them with larger lips. Only time and cash flow will tell.

- The wheels will be split.
    - Lips and bolts will be re-polished.
    - The carbon fiber trim rings have basically all been crack from the bolts being over torqued at some point. They will be replaced with aluminum rings.
    - Faces will be sand blasted and powdered.

Futura Collage 2 by Joey Palimeno, on Flickr

||| mkv GTI - RIP || 69' w114 || 97' e36 328i |||

Added to The Official Wheel Build Almanac & Reference Thread

Comment

Very cool. I wish I had done something like this when I rebuild my OZ Pegasus 17x9 to 17x10 last year. Good luck

Comment

Thanks guys!

The wheels have been broken down!

Untitled by Joey Palimeno, on Flickr

First step was removing all the face bolts from the wheels. The bolts are the original OZ bolts not aftermarket. This means 2 things.

1. They are m7x32 bolts
        2. You will need a 10 Point 8mm & 10mm Decagon Star Wheel Ring Special Socket Set

After removing all the face bolts I then cut through the old silicone sealant with a razor blade.
        Then using a rubber mallet I carefully hit down on the lips in a circular pattern all around, while holding on to the barrel with my other hand, until the lips popped off.

And lastly I cleaned off all the old silicone using a wire wheel on my dremel and some scotch brute pads. it took a lot of time and elbow grease, but it is definitely a necessary step.

Untitled by Joey Palimeno, on Flickr

Comment

You should not sandplast them. Use chemical paint remover to get the old paint off.
          sigpic

Follow me on Instagram:
          German Classic Wheels

Comment

Originally posted by daywalker View Post
            You should not sandplast them. Use chemical paint remover to get the old paint off.
            Noted.

Just out of curiosity though, why do you not suggest sandblasting?

Comment

Originally posted by JPizzle View Post
              Noted.

Just out of curiosity though, why do you not suggest sandblasting?
              Sandblasting is too ruff on the aluminium. you can get small holes in the aluminium by using sand. i would just use chemical paint remover. it does not harm the aluminium
              Visit Bagriders.com for the best deals on Airride suspension.

Stbk123 - Instagram.

ViolentClique

Comment

Originally posted by stbk View Post
                Sandblasting is too ruff on the aluminium. you can get small holes in the aluminium by using sand. i would just use chemical paint remover. it does not harm the aluminium
                Makes sense. Well I have AC stripper on hand, and I'm definitely okay with saving on the cost of having them blasted. haha Thanks for the information!

Comment

Working...
                X