Salad Shooters on my e28

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salad Shooters on my e28

So I picked up some staggered salad shooters for my e28 and finally got the car on the road after painting it. I took it for a spin around the neighborhood with no issues but once I got it out on the main road I had massive shaking @ 40MPH. I know I have seen these wheels on e28s before so I know they'll work, but is there something I am missing? I do not recall the tire sizes, but I am running 15mm adapters up front and 20mm in the rear. I am going to take the front wheels back to the place that mounted the tires and have them recheck the balance, but that is all I can come up with at this point. Any help is appreciated.

Don't mind the ride height or missing trim on the car, work in progress.

20141109_075356 byjustinmdougherty, on Flickr

20141109_075348 by justinmdougherty, on Flickr

20141109_075326 by justinmdougherty, on Flickr

Are you running wobble bolts?

Comment

No, I have 5X120 to 5X120.65 adapters.

Comment

i think so,No, I have 5X120 to 5X120.65 adapters. thanks

Comment

A tire's section width (also called "cross section width") is the measurement of the tire's width from its inner sidewall to its outer sidewall (excluding any protective ribs, decorations or raised letters) at the widest point. This measurement is made without any load placed upon the tire and after the tire has been properly mounted on its industry assigned measuring rim and has been inflated and reset to its test pressure after 24 hours.
          Last edited by Nelson143; 01-27-2015, 11:25 PM.
          http://www.testking.net/CCNA-SP-Oper...n-training.htm
          http://testking.net/

Comment

I see the spammers have found your thread.

Sorry, I see above you wrote you have adapters; for whatever reason my mind parsed that as spacers. Out of curiosity, whose adapters are you running, and what model, if applicable?

Comment

they are adaptech spacers from Motorsport-tech.com

Comment

bump. Any ideas as to why they may shake so bad?

Comment

Take the wheels off and make sure the adapters are tightend correctly

Comment

I have already gotten to that point. I have taken the shooters off and put stock rims back on with no issues. This basically confirmed it wasn't suspension at a minimum. At some point this week I plan to bring the rims back to the tire shop and make sure the balance is right.

Comment

***update***

So I went to the tire shop today. the guy put them on the machine and one of the front and one of the rear were off balance so I figured that should help. I just put them back on and I am having the same problem. I have figured out that it is not at a specific speed but at some point, for some reason the front end starts to shake uncontrollably. The slowest I have got it to happen was 35-40, and the fastest was about 60 mph.

Would tire pressure have an effect? I checked the tires, and they are set to what the car has on the door, but obviously the tires/wheels are a different size. The tires are stretched on the rim a bit too, does this change what pressure I should have on the tire?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
                      Justin

Comment

The tires are in good condition? No slight bend in the wheels? Alignment issues?

Comment

Are your adapters hubcentric?

Might be a long shot, but spacers / adapters elongate the arm your wheel moves on which puts more stress on the suspension bushings / bearings. Have you checked your front suspension for any play? Wider wheels and will definitely exaggerate any existing problems that may not be obvious with stock size wheels.

'87 Porsche 944 S | Ex-E36 Touring (2009 - 2016) | Daily: '02 Chrysler Sebring

www.bastienbochmann.de | Tief & Breit

Comment

Working...
                          X