3 pc wheel slowly leaking air

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 pc wheel slowly leaking air

My front passenger wheel is leaking 3-4psi a day. Wheels have been on the car for probably 4 months now and haven't had any issues until just getting back from a 500 mile round trip which I've done before with out issues when they first went on the car.

Wheels can be seen on my Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/99312398@N04/

3 pc OZ Vegas
    Bolt in valve stems

Any ideas?? I haven't had the chance to spray them with soap/water yet to see if I can find any leaks.

Thanks
    '98 328is.Straight pipes.OZ Vegas.DailyDriven.

Look for a tire puncture or leaks first
    Who build the wheels, btw?

OZ, MSW, ABT, Carlsson, etc 10 point bolt tools info

Comment

Pat at Spintech. Believe he is on here, had the 540 touring on rf's last I saw
      '98 328is.Straight pipes.OZ Vegas.DailyDriven.

Comment

Yeah, Patrick is on here.
        I'm impressed. Had no idea you could upsize the MSW/OZ's to 17".
        Any luck finding the leak?
        Last edited by zoo; 09-12-2014, 03:00 PM.

OZ, MSW, ABT, Carlsson, etc 10 point bolt tools info

Comment

Could be a slight bend causing a leak, maybe a crack, but I would first look at the valve stem. My experience with bolt-in stems has been frustrating... a good smack and they never seal right again, even if there's no visible damage.

Comment

I agree with what everyone said to check. I would remove the wheel from the car and check the more obvious exterior things first like physical objects stuck in the tire, puncture marks, etc.

Maybe check the valve stem core under the valve stem cap (small threaded brass piece), since this is easier to replace than the whole valve stem.

"well...I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong" -unknown
            instagram:@cleantune ; Twitter: Cleantune@Cleantune2

Comment

Hi mustache_rides,

there are only two possibilities.

1) you have a hole in the tire (go to the tire store and let it fix)

2) you have a seal problem on the rim (go to the tire store and let them take down the tire, go to home depot or similar and buy silicone that is used in mounting of front windshields in cars. Tighten all bolts on your rim with a torque Wrench [28 Nm] and then seal the seam with the silicone)

Comment

Working...
              X