How to remove existing silicone after splitting wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to remove existing silicone after splitting wheels

I am currently working on a set of HRE wheels and I have already taken the wheels apart and had the lips and face refinished. I am having a bit of a hard time removing the existing silicone off the barrel and lips. I have tried using a razor blade to scrape it off but there is a bit left. I tried some acetone but that didn't do much. What does everyone use to remove the old glue off?

A combination of Acetone and a good amount of razor action should have done the trick. Might have to put some more force behind the razor, but it should come off fairly easily especially after the encounter with a chemical.
    Flickr

Comment

I always use one of these. 3M paint/rust removing wheel. It's never cut into metal, but stripped rubber goo with ease on the end of a drill. Done quite a few sets with these wheels. It was also good at removing the corrosion/surface build up on the hub mounting surface of the wheel.

Pic stolen from Google.

instagram : demrimz
      StatesideWheel

Comment

/\/\

Those work great. I'm more of a cheap-ass and use a wire wheel. Still eats through the silicone in no time.

Comment

Originally posted by KyleAnderson View Post
          //

Those work great. I'm more of a cheap-ass and use a wire wheel. Still eats through the silicone in no time.
          This right here
          Using them on some bolts too

Comment

Originally posted by KyleAnderson View Post
            //

All day
            Instagram @l0w1if3

Comment

I used a wire wheel on a drill.

Comment

Working...
              X