Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WHat Should I Do To Remove "Scars" In The Metal On My Lips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WHat Should I Do To Remove "Scars" In The Metal On My Lips?

So I bought some ACT Type SC 3pc wheels as a project a few weeks ago.

The lips were in great condition apart from these sort of corroded spots underneath the clear.

I stripped the clear and the spots are definitely just corroded places in the metal. Most likely because of the clear coat failing.

I was just wondering what type of sanding and what grit would be the best to get these corroded spots out of the lips?

Thanks!

Pics

My OZ lips were worse off then that, I'd strip em then do the medium grit sponge, fine grit sponge, 1,00,0000 steel wool, followed by compounds and polish
    Instagram @l0w1if3

Comment

Originally posted by AnchorsAweigh View Post
      My OZ lips were worse off then that, I'd strip em then do the medium grit sponge, fine grit sponge, 1,00,0000 steel wool, followed by compounds and polish
      Thanks! ill give it a try.

Comment

start with 400 grit wet dry and use it wet (squirt bottle with water and a little dish soap)
        if 400 dosn't show progress then 320 grit.

the thing is, I like to start with as fine a grit as I think will work, because every grade more coarse with mean much more work removing those sanding marks too. so I'd rather spend a bit more time with finer grit than need to sand out lines from 100 grit all the way down to 1500 grit. and some go to 2000 grit.

sand in steps of around 4-500 grit amounts. so like when you get finished with 600 grit, go to 1000 grit or so. and clean the lip thoroughly between each grit.

Comment

I used 600, and 400 on the hard spots. My oz lips were covered int that termite looking corrosion.

Comment

Working...
          X