Polishing help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polishing help

Polishing my style 5's, running into a little problem on the mounting lip(?) and need some help. It's sanded down to 2000 wet, but isn't polishing up like the rest of the wheel. I'm using Meguiars Rubbing compound and Mothers mag & aluminum and hand polishing, but when I'm using the polish, it doesn't get as 'black' as the other parts of the lip, and leaves a generally cloudy shine behind. This is from like 2-3 polishes. What am i doing wrong?
    Big picture, sorry.

More polish and use a power tool of some sorts I use a speed adjustable drill and mothers powerball followed by a cushion pad pretty pleased with the results
    Follow on IG
    amgwheelwhore

Buy my wheels
    Vintage AME Wheels
    RUF Speedline Wheels

Buy my cars
    W115 & W123

Comment

I've heard that when polishing (non billet) alluminum, presence or absence of heat makes a difference in the results. I've seen that haziness/milkyness you talked about before, usually when the polishing was done by hand. try using something that will spin fast enough to generate some heat, powerball, or dremel tool, etc. let us know if it made a difference

Comment

Originally posted by AMGwheelwhore View Post
        More polish and use a power tool of some sorts I use a speed adjustable drill and mothers powerball followed by a cushion pad pretty pleased with the results
        +1

Comment

Try Menzerna aluminium polishing stuff(hardwax).. after that use Mothers or autosol to fine finish.

And finishing polish lower rpm on machine (menzerna has some recommended speeds.)

LINK TO PDF TO BUY RIGHT COMPOUND
          Last edited by Exami; 04-05-2012, 04:46 AM.
          Project car: MB 190E M50 Turbo build
          Now: MB W211 320cdi
          Ex:MB 190E M50, BMW E39 530d

Comment

Picked up a Mothers' Powercone..It isn't working for me at all. Anyone have any experience with these?

Oh, and what primer should i be using for the faces? I'm not stripping them down. I have sandable or etching.
            Last edited by staystetti; 04-12-2012, 10:47 PM.

Comment

Use a terry cloth pad, and speed and heat are your friend when polishing so crank those drill speeds up! I personally use a power-cone one time over the entire lip, then I hit it with a cloth pad, then repeat the process until mirror shine is achieved. I also use mother mag & aluminum polish. And if that still doesnt work you can always re-sand the wheel again then re-polish.
              Follow on IG
              amgwheelwhore

Buy my wheels
              Vintage AME Wheels
              RUF Speedline Wheels

Buy my cars
              W115 & W123

Comment

Yeah I'll probably end up sanding again and see what happens. Thanks man.

Comment

Based on my experiences, (finally finished putting together the new wheels and I am about to seal em up) I found no differences in polish quality between using a buffing wheel on a variable speed drill and hand polishing. The drill was a bit quicker, but I found my self retouching it by hand anyways so I gave up the drill. I was only using mothers mag as well. I would suggest using some real polishing compound as mothers is kind of a "last step polish" type of compound.

Comment

Working...
                  X