No announcement yet.

DIY Wheel Refinishing - BBS Style 5s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I followed this tutorial for painting my faces but I polished my lips and I put my bolts in Coca Cola. Great write up!
    NathanHeeney.com

Comment

Sorry to revive an old thread...
      but how you remove the center caps without messing up the new paint? the only way i know how to get the center caps back out is the pry them off with a screw driver, but it gouges the paint. theres got to be a better way right????? i need to know fast i am rolling my fenders soon and need my wheels off but i dont want to mess them up

Comment

sorry to revive an old thread but how do you get the center caps out without scratching the new paint?? i am rolling my fenders soon and i have to remove my wheels but the only way i know how is to pry them off with a screw driver but it gouges the piant... pleaseeee help i need them off.

Comment

jledford94: mine are powdercoated and the center caps are painted to match the powder (since the centers are plastic). YES! they are tight as hell once on, i haven't messed with it yet, but i'm planning on bending the metal ring a bit more to see if it will get a lil bit looser on the plastic tabs. i'm assuming this will work fine. if that doesn't go well, maybe filing down the plastic tabs on the center caps where it clips into the wheel or filing down the powdercoat on that area will work too...

side note:

so my buddy at a shop is re-assembling my style 5's. ran into a problem, most of the spined bolts will go in, and he starts torquing them down and the spines get stripped and start spinning.... thus not being able to tighten them... he then tried to press/hammer them in real snug and then proceed to tighten them and same thing... has this happened to anyone else?... maybe my bolts are just completely shot?...

i went ahead and just ordered the style 5 rebuild kits u see on ebay, the alen key flat dome bolt head NON-spined with a 13mm nut on the back. was like $250shipped for 5 wheels worth.

Comment

nice write up. i enjoyed the step by step and the specs

Comment

Wow man, what a nice write up. My Style 24 need this!

Build thread?

Comment

Super write up, I just picked up a set of Style 5's with tires for super duper cheap, but they've been spray painted, bolts and all following this thread completely to refinish them!
                '93 Jaguar XJ6 4 liter.
                '85 GMC S15 Sierra long bed.
                '01 BMW 740iL
                Instagram @bennkishh

Comment

Originally posted by bennkishh View Post
                  Super write up, I just picked up a set of Style 5's with tires for super duper cheap, but they've been spray painted, bolts and all following this thread completely to refinish them!
                  jasco will take that right off.

hi

Comment

Originally posted by JE BMW View Post
                    jasco will take that right off.
                    Yup, picking some up in the AM.

Looking at the 70mm BBS caps to replace the Bimmer ones, what back size do I need for those?
                    '93 Jaguar XJ6 4 liter.
                    '01 BMW 740iL
                    Instagram @bennkishh

Comment

those are expensive. what i did was just ordered some stickers from ebay and domed them with some resin myself. ill get you the info about the caps anyway. hold on

hi

Comment

here
                        Individual Genuine BBS Replacement Logo Center Caps. We offer a full line of replacement authentic BBS Logo Center Caps. Please review the details of the center caps carefully. Caps are priced individually. Center caps are not eligible for returns or exchanges.

you would need the 70mm B, so 56 mm backs.
                        you can either cut the lil tabs off the bbs caps and glue them on,
                        or dremel lil holes on your bmw caps so the tabs of the bbs caps can go in there.

hi

Comment

Originally posted by JE BMW View Post
                          those are expensive. what i did was just ordered some stickers from ebay and domed them with some resin myself. ill get you the info about the caps anyway. hold on
                          That looks like what I'll do, $20 per cap is a little harsh in my opinion.
                          '93 Jaguar XJ6 4 liter.
                          '01 BMW 740iL
                          Instagram @bennkishh

Comment

Yea man.. just find some stickers online or local sign shop can make them
                            and look up "dome stickers" on youtube. its easy the resin makes them look 3d
                            this is how mine ended up.

hi

Comment

Great write up. Thanks for sharing

•Tapatalk•

Comment

gorgeous TYRE RYMS here i am surprised to see them, how much did you pay for those ryms?

Comment

Working...
                                X