W124 Tyre Sizes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• W124 Tyre Sizes

Finally got my AMG 0Z Split Rims back from refurb, they look awesome now.

I tried putting the wheels on my car to determine what tyre sizes I need, and I dont know what sizes to settle for. Here are some pics so you have some idea what tyre sizes I may need?

Front wheels are 8.5 x 17
    Rear wheels are 10 x 17

Front:

Rear:

I was thinking these sizes...

215/40/17 fronts
    235/40/17 rears

What do you guys think? Also what tyre brand?

Thanks!

Thankfully a lot of that poke will go way when the car is put back down. Amazing job!on those wheels though!

As for tire sizes, seems like those will suit well. Falken's are good for stretching. I'll let the more experienced stretchers chime in.

Strictly Pleasure
    Allen
    82 Datsun 280ZX Turbo 5 Spd
    92 Mercedes 300CE Sportline 5 Spd

Comment

I'd say you're right on with the sizing. If you really want to see where the lip of the wheel is, set the car down with jackstands or wooden blocks on the A-arms to replicate a loaded suspension.

Nankang NS1's have a nice, "round" tread pattern that helps tuck. Falken FK452's and 512's are good for stretching due to a soft sidewall.
      BB6 Prelude . . E36 ///M3 . . VA WRX Limited . . 1969 Nova
      Originally posted by Ollie
      We all love to turn heads. Sub-consciously we're all materialistic attention-craving dickheads.

Comment

Another problem I have now is that the car really needs to be lowered by quite a bit with these wheels on it. It just doesnt have the same effect whilst riding at standard height. The wheels which are currently on the car have 45 profile tyres on it, so in a way they seem to fill out the arches. With stretched tyres, the sidewalls appear to look way thinner so making it look like there is now an even bigger gap between the wheel arch and the wheel lip.

I guess the next thing on the list will be to change the suspension to Bilstein B8, 1 nibb pads all round and hopefully should be able to stick with the sportline springs.

Comment

and if that is not low enough for you, you can also try w202 lowering springs and running without spring pad as an alternative afterwards...
          I have had no pads before with no problems.
          FYI my car is currently on w202 lowering springs with pads 1nib up front and 2 nibs back
          back end will tuck tires very slightly with no pads in this setup, I did not dare to do the same to my front end

love your wheels!
          Last edited by Johnny1984; 11-17-2011, 11:56 AM.

Comment

I'd never have thought W202 lowering springs would work. I used to have Eibach's before but they were soft and kept sagging, so I changed them to MB Sportline springs, which ended up being harder and never have sagged...perfect!

The front end is very tricky with our cars, it takes a lot of trial and error to see what works without it causing a heavy steering effect.

Now I know which tyre sizes to go for, I cant decide between Nankang NS2's, Falken 452's or 512's! Theres also a hefty price difference between the Nankangs and Falkens. I currently have Toyo T1R's, but new ones will work out too expensive.

Comment

Working...
            X