Need help with some heavy stretch!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with some heavy stretch!!

I'm having trouble seating my 215/40 512s on my 17x10s. We tried a cheetah and I tried the lighter fluid trick but nothing did the trick. There just seems to be too much space. Any tips? This YouTube vid seems to be the best way but how do I get one side on the bead like that?? Thanks

IG: @_olliee

ollie needing help, hmm something isent right

the way i have done it, (by my self, and has worked everytime, in the first try. well after i found out how to do it that way )

i always place the tire on the wheel, so its on at an angel. if you imagine the bottom of the tire bead is sitting against the rim of the wheel, in only one place. and 180degrees on the top of the tire bead, the tire is sitting up against the rim of the wheel.

the air valve shall be on the side where the gap is.
    now start spraying starter fluid, starting were the gap opens, spraying all the time when you are moving across the gap to the other side, then moving down the middle, when you are at the middle start spraying down the tire. now quickly set fire to the fluid, when the bead pops you should start putting air in. so the tire doesn't unseat again. and don't worry, you will need loads of air, due to the vacuum the "explosion" is making when seating the tire.

sec ill upload with pictures.
    you can see in my build thread v3, the first tire on the brocks is a 215/45 done by me, and the second on the ACs is a 215/40 also done by me.
    -Instagram@jdjurhuus
    Stretchsaurus and Pokemon.

Comment

Okey, as shown on the picture above , place the wheel and tire like this. on the ground, the picture is showing the side view.
      Keep the top bead, seated up against the rim of the wheel on the side were the valve is placed, and the bottom bead resting down on the other side.
      you can use a wooded block or something on that sort to keep the top bead seated up against the rim.

now the view from the top, here you can see how the tire should be placed. leaving a gap on the other side were the valve is.
      as explained on the picture, follow the red arrow when spraying starter gas from one side to the other, back to the middle, then up on the tire and then down the tire were the thread path is.
      when spraying gas, its crucial not to spray to much, or to little, start by doing a small amount of gas, and work your way up from there. If there is a ball of fire shooting from the gap, its because there is not enough starter gas in there to make the beads pop up, if the wheel blows apart then there is to much starter gas.
      when setting fire to the fluid on the thread, notice i said fluid. because when you spray it on a surface it will be a solid fluid on the thread path. its critical to time when you need to start pumping air into the wheel. you want to start putting air in just when you see the gas inside the wheel starting to ignite, if done corectly the tire will pop against the bottom and top rims.

if done right, it takes one person about 3-5mins, to set up the tire, spraying gas and airing it at the right time. Hope this helps.

oh and i should really make a video and upload it here, and getting someone to sticky it.
      -Instagram@jdjurhuus
      Stretchsaurus and Pokemon.

Comment

Are you keeping the air chuck on the wheel as you use the cheetah? I've done that same stretch 4 times now with no issues

Comment

Yeah we kept air going into it the whole time. Gonna give the starter fluid another shot and if not I'm going to go to another shop and give the cheetah another shot. It's a little farther but theyve always been able to mount anything I bring to them(so have these other 2 places though that's why I was worried)

Zic, thanks for the help dude. Helps a lot. The pics helped a ton with positioning the tire and such. I can get the top bead near the valve to sit up against the rim of the wheel in the bead seat like you said but the bottom tire bead I cant get in the beadseat at all. Not sure if that matters. I dont think it does but the way you worded it but from the pic it looks like it might need to be so just wondering.

Comment

Originally posted by Zic View Post
            ollie needing help, hmm something isent right

the way i have done it, (by my self, and has worked everytime, in the first try. well after i found out how to do it that way )

i always place the tire on the wheel, so its on at an angel. if you imagine the bottom of the tire bead is sitting against the rim of the wheel, in only one place. and 180degrees on the top of the tire bead, the tire is sitting up against the rim of the wheel.

the air valve shall be on the side where the gap is.
            now start spraying starter fluid, starting were the gap opens, spraying all the time when you are moving across the gap to the other side, then moving down the middle, when you are at the middle start spraying down the tire. now quickly set fire to the fluid, when the bead pops you should start putting air in. so the tire doesn't unseat again. and don't worry, you will need loads of air, due to the vacuum the "explosion" is making when seating the tire.

sec ill upload with pictures.
            you can see in my build thread v3, the first tire on the brocks is a 215/45 done by me, and the second on the ACs is a 215/40 also done by me.
            an angel? i didn't know they knew how to stretch tires
            Hatchbacks, wagons... It's NOT all the same. You want in? Don't get a mazda 3, get a mazda 6 wagon. Don't get a wrx get a legacy wagon. and theres a reason the A3 isn't called the A3 avant... Scion does not make a wagon it makes a weird van, but no wagons

Sincerely,
            The Wagon Mafia:Inner Circle
            P.S. Is your tail a wagon?

Show cars are lame.

Comment

Don't keep the air on it the whole time, that's a no no because you will push all the fumes from the starter fluid out of the tire. I don't know what that picture picture is trying to show up top, but it's incorrect.
              1.Sit the tire in the center of the wheel so there isn't an exposed area where air can get out.
              2. Push down on the outside of the tire just enough to spray inside of the tire, following with a line around a quarter of the tire
              3. Light a piece of paper and light the fluid, then kick the top of the tire.
              4. Once the fluid dissipates you see it set the bead, hit it with the air chuck.
              5. It might not bead the whole way around right away, you can hit the tire with a bat and it will go.
              I just recently did two myself, so I know it works. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by dubbinjeastin View Post
                Don't keep the air on it the whole time, that's a no no because you will push all the fumes from the starter fluid out of the tire. I don't know what that picture picture is trying to show up top, but it's incorrect.
                1.Sit the tire in the center of the wheel so there isn't an exposed area where air can get out.
                2. Push down on the outside of the tire just enough to spray inside of the tire, following with a line around a quarter of the tire
                3. Light a piece of paper and light the fluid, then kick the top of the tire.
                4. Once the fluid dissipates you see it set the bead, hit it with the air chuck.
                5. It might not bead the whole way around right away, you can hit the tire with a bat and it will go.
                I just recently did two myself, so I know it works. Good luck.
                That's exactly what I was trying to do earlier but the exposed hole is too big

Comment

i fit same tire and tire size on a 17x10 and used starter fluid i turned the air on right after the explosion i usually spray starting fluid into the bead then a trail on the outside of tire i light it then hit the pump switch works everytime

Comment

Originally posted by blowntwofive View Post
                    i fit same tire and tire size on a 17x10 and used starter fluid i turned the air on right after the explosion i usually spray starting fluid into the bead then a trail on the outside of tire i light it then hit the pump switch works everytime
                    Wait you sprayed on the bead of the tire?? Or the bead seat? How did you position the tire? I'm gonna try again after class. Didn't have any luck last night

Comment

it doesn't matter if you spray the tire or the seat, it's going to go on either way. What model tire are you stretching? P.S. you are going to have a hard time if you aren't using an air compressor that can run constant at pressure over 80psi. Sometimes, you can get air in it fast enough because the compressors are too weak.
                      Last edited by dubbinjeastin; 10-10-2011, 03:36 PM.

Comment

Might be a stupid bit of input, but did you remove the valve core for re-filling the tire?

It works great for fitting RFTs so it might be worth a try if not already using it
                        /O O==[][]==O O\
                        --------------------------

Comment

If th Tire is that bad for a stretch sometimes it helps to mount it first on a 9 inch wheel and after a day or two in sun you try it on the 10 inch you wanted it on. It always helps if the tire man is a big bloke with strong arms and he is pressing the tire together leaving no way to the air to get out of the wheel... thats the way my man is doing it all the time never using a cheetah (i dont trust it as i can give you big dents used wrong)

Comment

It it comes down to it I can do it for you at my work, kind of a long trip though :/

Comment

We were able to do it with a cheetah. I think the first shop I went to didn't have the same kind of air pressure (or will power) available.

I still want to give the lighter fluid thing a shot but I didnt have luck doing it and I dont have any air at my house let alone high pressure.. I live in an effing college ghetto lol

Byron thanks for the offer man. If I couldnt get them on this week I def woulda taken the offer up. My friends and I have driven to kingston just to get sonic before. (wait are you in kingston, ny?)

Comment

Working...
                              X