17" Borbet A's MK3 Jetta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 17" Borbet A's MK3 Jetta

So im in the works of picking up some Borbet A's 17x8.5 ET12. I have been told that they are to big, and wont fit..blah blah blah. Im not taking no for an answer. I have heard of people shortening their control arms...using MK2 ones. Takes a total of 10mm off. 5 on each side. Does anyone have some suggestions? Im planning on running some camber.
    If anyone has some pictures that will help. Here is what I have so far. Obviously I need some stance. I could just throw some spacers in the rear...but what fun is that?
    This is the stance that im aiming for...even though I dont have bags..

Heres what I have:

Originally posted by thatoffinthedistance View Post
    I have been told that they are to big, and wont fit..blah blah blah. Im not taking no for an answer.
    I like your attitude! Got the same thing going for me right now... my Rials for my E36 have the same size in the front as your Borbets and everyone here in Germany is telling me I'll have to pull the shit out of my fenders to run these. I'm planning on making it work on stock fenders, though.

If you're going to run some camber, you may need to look for some camber adjustable strut bearings, I suspect the possible stock camber of -2.5 might not be enough.

Also, I don't think you will have THAT much problems. There's lots of guys running 9x16 ET15 up front with 215/40 or even 205/40. Needs a pull, but definitely do-able. Don't see why your 8.5x17s shouldn't work.

What tire size you planning? 205/40? 195/40?

And if you're going to run the same size front and rear, I'd invest in some 10mm spacers for the rear to make it look even. Mk3s tend to have that problem, except the earliest models. Those had a slightly wider rear axle and so wouldn't need the spacers.

If you're really having problems up front, you might also look into having the mounting face of the wheel milled down a few mms if possible.
    Last edited by Dr.AK; 07-09-2011, 02:50 AM.

'87 Porsche 944 S | Ex-E36 Touring (2009 - 2016) | Daily: '02 Chrysler Sebring

www.bastienbochmann.de | Tief & Breit

Comment

imo 8.5 up front should work!
      Floccinaucinihilipilification

Comment

You'll def need to roll all fenders flat but that's about it i think...maybe a slight pull, nothing crazy! Like AK said you will need to space out the rears a little too. Two of my buddies are running 7,5x17s ET35 on their GTIs and they even look kinda lost in the front without spacers. You might have problems in the rears when lowering that much cause the more you lower it, the more youre rear wheels moves towards the arches. You can get some Mason Tech Great Plates which center your rear axle back to the correct point! With some camber it shouldnt be a problem to make it all work without rubbing too much!
        slamburglars.com

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.AK View Post
          I like your attitude! Got the same thing going for me right now... my Rials for my E36 have the same size in the front as your Borbets and everyone here in Germany is telling me I'll have to pull the shit out of my fenders to run these. I'm planning on making it work on stock fenders, though.

If you're going to run some camber, you may need to look for some camber adjustable strut bearings, I suspect the possible stock camber of -2.5 might not be enough.

Also, I don't think you will have THAT much problems. There's lots of guys running 9x16 ET15 up front with 215/40 or even 205/40. Needs a pull, but definitely do-able. Don't see why your 8.5x17s shouldn't work.

What tire size you planning? 205/40? 195/40?

And if you're going to run the same size front and rear, I'd invest in some 10mm spacers for the rear to make it look even. Mk3s tend to have that problem, except the earliest models. Those had a slightly wider rear axle and so wouldn't need the spacers.

If you're really having problems up front, you might also look into having the mounting face of the wheel milled down a few mms if possible.
          I think they are on 205/40's. Ill def space out the back if it needs it. Everyone on vortex is saying that et12 is way to much poke...and now I think they have me convinced. lol And we got this. Forget the ******

Originally posted by P78 View Post
          imo 8.5 up front should work!
          Thats what im thinking. You even think that with an et 12?!

Originally posted by G535 View Post
          You'll def need to roll all fenders flat but that's about it i think...maybe a slight pull, nothing crazy! Like AK said you will need to space out the rears a little too. Two of my buddies are running 7,5x17s ET35 on their GTIs and they even look kinda lost in the front without spacers. You might have problems in the rears when lowering that much cause the more you lower it, the more youre rear wheels moves towards the arches. You can get some Mason Tech Great Plates which center your rear axle back to the correct point! With some camber it shouldnt be a problem to make it all work without rubbing too much!
          I was looking into the Great Plates. Dumb question, but I can run those and camber also right?

One thing im nervous about is that ill have to get them re-drilled to 5x100, or just do a 5 lug swap. I dont wanna do that, but if im going to get these, I think it'll have to happen. Im hoping a place can just re-drill them, so I can throw them on. I dont want to have to run adapters, cause the smallest they make is 15mm, and that'll look a bit crazy up front imo.
          Thanks for everyones help. I appreciate it! I think the car will look money, and ill have a legit static stance.

Anyone else have anything?

Comment

Originally posted by thatoffinthedistance View Post
            One thing im nervous about is that ill have to get them re-drilled to 5x100, or just do a 5 lug swap. I dont wanna do that, but if im going to get these, I think it'll have to happen. Im hoping a place can just re-drill them, so I can throw them on. I dont want to have to run adapters, cause the smallest they make is 15mm, and that'll look a bit crazy up front imo.
            Thanks for everyones help. I appreciate it! I think the car will look money, and ill have a legit static stance.

Anyone else have anything?
            Swapping the axles isnt a big deal and probably cheaper than having ONE set of wheels redrilled..keep in mind that you'll might want to get a different set in a year or so..you know how it is And yeah, adapters wouldnt make it easier...
            Ehhh...camber plates for MK3s are mounted between the hub and axle right? And Great Plates sit where the axles bolt into the chassis. Correct me if i'm wrong.
            slamburglars.com

Comment

Originally posted by G535 View Post
              Swapping the axles isnt a big deal and probably cheaper than having ONE set of wheels redrilled..keep in mind that you'll might want to get a different set in a year or so..you know how it is And yeah, adapters wouldnt make it easier...
              Ehhh...camber plates for MK3s are mounted between the hub and axle right? And Great Plates sit where the axles bolt into the chassis. Correct me if i'm wrong.
              Your right. Im looking at 5 lug swaps right now. I did a 4 lug rear disc swap a while back, so looks like this will be cheaper than I thought. I think I failed to mention that the wheels are 5x120, not 5x100.

Comment

up

Comment

Working...
                X