Re-drill Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mattphi View Post
    Well yeah, I was planning to get aluminum hubrings regardless. They are only $100 from Motorsport-tech. How would having aluminum hub rings make this safer since the re drill holes will be closer to the centerbore?
    by using an aluminum hubcentric ring you are taking load off the weakened mounting surface. If you weld them in, even stitch weld you will be strengthening it thus "fooling" the wheel to thinking it hasn't been modified. So, decreasing your worry.

Looking at this picture posted above and thinking that it's drilled to 5x100...and drilling them to 5x108 would be EVEN CLOSER to the center bore, this scares me a little bit.
    5x108 bolt pattern is more spread apart than 5x100. So you would have MORE meat between lug hole and centerbore.

Comment

Originally posted by C.Johnston View Post
      by using an aluminum hubcentric ring you are taking load off the weakened mounting surface. If you weld them in, even stitch weld you will be strengthening it thus "fooling" the wheel to thinking it hasn't been modified. So, decreasing your worry.

5x108 bolt pattern is more spread apart than 5x100. So you would have MORE meat between lug hole and centerbore.
      All of this makes sense and definitely makes me feel better about getting them. I really wanted to run adapters but since the offset is +20...they will never fit on my car.

I'm 99% sure I'll be picking them up this weekend

Comment

So much work for such a beginner wheel.

Comment

Yeah, but 'beginner' wheel that costs 1/4 of an RS. My friend just picked up a set for £250 delivered, and I have a set of style 19s which aren't too dissimilar for £150.

Comment

Right its a cheap and quick solution for BMW's. Then you come to realize that 8" is just too narrow to ever be all that cool anyway.

So I can't for the life of me see why people would want to go through the trouble of re-drilling a wheel that will ultimately just leave them wanting more.

Comment

Well for example my Subaru came with 16x6.5 +55, 17x8 +20 pokes 54mm over stock.. That's pretty good. Remember that not all cars come with mid-low offsets. If I bought a set of Style 5's for 300 + 200 for redrill for half price of a set of Rota's I'd say that's a great deal. Flat lips all polished with new BBS center caps and you've got a nice set on the cheap.

Comment

Working...
              X