Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey bro, can u smoothe out fenders? Like the metal, i'll make it perfect with filler, but i ended up taking pliers to my front fenders (emerency situation) but there pretty beat, and i kinda wanna smoothe em out and make it look like a clean massive pull. u think u can help? Lmk if u want pics i'll pm ya some thanks bro

Comment

Originally posted by Tonys18t View Post
      Yeah, that sealer can be a major pain in the ass,

i normally take my time and go at it with a die grinder, you have to be very careful and work slow. but you can melt the stuff and remove it in chunks.

Also the E46 cars normally rub most at the rear part of the arch near the bumper, depending on how wide you are going, you might need to shave the arch lip back there too.
      how would you heat it up? I have a heatgun. will it start to seperate when its heated enough.

Comment

Originally posted by alexcruz View Post
        how would you heat it up? I have a heatgun. will it start to seperate when its heated enough.
        ^friction from the die grinder in the specific areas will heat the rubber/plastic sufficiantly.
        SLAMMED GARAGE
        slammedgarage@hotmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by xBtony View Post
          Hey bro, can u smoothe out fenders? Like the metal, i'll make it perfect with filler, but i ended up taking pliers to my front fenders (emerency situation) but there pretty beat, and i kinda wanna smoothe em out and make it look like a clean massive pull. u think u can help? Lmk if u want pics i'll pm ya some thanks bro
          hit me up on the PM dude, i should be able to sort it out for you

Originally posted by alexcruz View Post
          the heat gun wont really help, it needs a lot of heat to shift that stuff, all you'll do with the gun is overheat it and bubble the paint on the outside of the fender.

you pretty much have to carve it out with the grinder.
          Yeah, i'm that guy you've heard about that rolls and pulls fenders in SoCal , hit me up .

Comment

after

...maybe it's just me, but that does NOT look good.

I like most of the rolling, but properly "pulled" fenders require paint work afterwards.

Here's my friend Zeb's Corrado after our friend Mike pulled and smoothed the fenders.

1995 AMG c36 / dirtbag.

Comment

yeah, its a personal taste thing i guess, thats the way the owner wanted the arches to look, and most people dont want to have to paint the car afterwards.

For me these are still the ultimate Corrado arches, my buddy Sukh's car. 16x10s all round.

Yeah, i'm that guy you've heard about that rolls and pulls fenders in SoCal , hit me up .

Comment

i have a question: how much does a roller cost?

Comment

You can get a good roller for around $260 ish, you'll need a heat gun and a couple of other helpful tools too,

Comment

Im about to do this to my current project (see build section) And have a question..

In order to stop the paint cracking, i just need to load up the paint work with heat right? The car is nothing special, but I thought I'd ask since You've done so many... Also, in order to "pull" the fenders, I pretty much just keep on rolling till my hears content right? lol
                    Originally posted by anth
                    Lucky they didn't come into your house and disrespect your whole family.

Comment

Question, is there anybody in the coastal SC area that can do fender rolling/pulling?
                      Jason
                      flickr
                      build thread

Comment

Originally posted by hinrichs View Post
                        i need to do my E46 rears so bad, any tips on removing the sealer? I have the eastwood roller and ive tried about 3-4 times with no luck, fenders are actually pre rolled from factory but not nearly enough
                        heat it up a bit with a heatgun then with GLOVES on take a heavy duty construction box cutter with the thick blade and jam it in and hold it next to the fender part to be rolled as a guide..

do that several times..

Then try and get the blade next to the quarter panel and do the same.

Then get your angled pick tool and dig it out using the same technique. heating it up throughout the process..

the razor blade thing i learned at the end and it made it sooo much less insane.

Comment

yeah, its a personal taste thing i guess, thats the way the owner wanted the arches to look, and most people dont want to have to paint the car afterwards.
                          If that's how the owner wanted them to look, then you did a good job. For me though, that looks awkward. I do agree with most people not wanting to have to paint the car afterwards...
                          1995 AMG c36 / dirtbag.

Comment

Originally posted by Oxer View Post
                            Im about to do this to my current project (see build section) And have a question..

In order to stop the paint cracking, i just need to load up the paint work with heat right? The car is nothing special, but I thought I'd ask since You've done so many... Also, in order to "pull" the fenders, I pretty much just keep on rolling till my hears content right? lol
                            Heat will help to prevent cracking for sure,its never a sure thing though, if the paint is reasonably good and not too dried out then the heat gun will help to keep it flexible while you roll. but you gotta be realistic, the paint is not designed to flex as much as you'll be asking it to.

you have to be careful too, dont overheat the panel, or you'll bubble the paint, just get it hot enough so you can still touch it, then keep heating as you go.

Pulling will involve adjusting the angle and pressure of the roller a few times as you move through the arc of the fender. its a little bit more involved then just simply rolling the fender some more. getting the shape and look right is more art than science. work slow and keep checking your work a lot as you go.

Originally posted by wRek View Post
                            If that's how the owner wanted them to look, then you did a good job. For me though, that looks awkward. I do agree with most people not wanting to have to paint the car afterwards...
                            hey, the customer is king right?

Comment

Thanks for the advice dude, Ill give it my best shot... The rears will shape up nicely, but the fronts are real flimsy.. Also, is it berre for me to cut away the tags on the fronts for the inner liner? I read somewhere that those tags can make the fender roll out ripply...
                              Originally posted by anth
                              Lucky they didn't come into your house and disrespect your whole family.

Comment

its not vital to cut the tabs off. a lot of the time its good to keep them so you can tuck the fender liner behind them.

if you intend on pulling the fenders a long way then taking them out will help avoid damage to the outer arch.

Comment

Working...
                                X