• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• are you sure? its just an open lip?

Comment

• Yup
      1997 BMW 328i

Comment

• looks like people have been having fun and games with fender rolling... which is the best way to learn, lol

Chapel, dont sweat it dude, that a pretty good roll and pull on the E36,
        Yeah, i'm that guy you've heard about that rolls and pulls fenders in SoCal , hit me up .

Comment

• Originally posted by Fetka View Post
          Hey guys. Do you have any suggestions about rolling square fenders ? Planning to go wide on my 940 Volvo, you can google some pics if something is not understood.
          Would love to see them rolled all around, not only in the middle of fender.

I guess one way would be extending the roller a further to left or right side, should work I guess.
          The other would be phonebook method, though never have tried it.
          Don't want to fcuk up my fenders with baseball bat method .. Have done it before, didn't like it.

Thanks in advance !
          The best way is to work the fender with a hammer and dolly ( rubber mallet will also work well ). just apply enough pressure to evenly roll the fender, not too much in any one place. it will give you a good even roll. use heat and take your time

Originally posted by Anonymoose View Post
          Just did my rear LS400 arches, got a good amount of extra clearance still with a relatively standard looking fender. The trim screw holes are assholes to deal with though

18x12J ET0, standard camber yet to max it out, no rubbing.

Tony have you tried putting a thin metal sheet behind where the screw holes are to give it more support and hopefully reduce the dimples? I didn't do it but thinking afterwards, that plus lots of heat might work...
          My thought on the Lexus LS/GS/SC cars is that you do it perfectly or not at all. reducing or minimizing the dimples is not an option, a dent is a dent and i'm not going to attempt something that i know will damage someones car... even a little bit.
          I've done it only for people who are going to refinish and paint their cars.

The issue is that the metal is weak where the holes are stamped out for the screws to fit. The thin metal strip idea will not work as you still have weak spots in the lip. the strip just means that you have more metal to roll, but the holes are still there behind it, once you push on it the dimples will appear. Heat is only to help the paint, so it makes no difference to the dimples.

Believe me i've experiemnted with a lot of ideas to get around the issue over the last 15 years or so years. its just a bad design for fender rolling.
          Yeah, i'm that guy you've heard about that rolls and pulls fenders in SoCal , hit me up .

Comment

• I promise i'll get some pics up soon, just been super busy with cars and mag work lately... show session is here.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tonys18t View Post
              looks like people have been having fun and games with fender rolling... which is the best way to learn, lol

Chapel, dont sweat it dude, that a pretty good roll and pull on the E36,
              thanks.
              How do you know how far to go anyway? Is there a point in which you measure before and after?

I just kinda kept going until I bottomed the fender roller out on the studs on the car.

unfortunately, the passenger side fender had some damaged paint on it before I started working and with temps in the 50s that day, it was hard to keep heat in the paint.
              I'm seeing my body guy tomorrow to see how much this is going to cost me to fix... He said it shouldn't be much as long as I'm not looking for a concours level paint match. I told him I'm fine with a 10 footer. It's a daily driver. I just don't want rust/rot.
              1997 BMW 328i

Comment

• normally on the e36 cars the lip will start to curl out if you pull it too far. it always looks better if the edge is nice and straight as it pulls, once it starts to get a curve out its time to stop. yours is about the limit before things start going south in a hurry, lol

Comment

• Originally posted by Fetka View Post
                  Hey guys. Do you have any suggestions about rolling square fenders ? Planning to go wide on my 940 Volvo, you can google some pics if something is not understood.
                  Would love to see them rolled all around, not only in the middle of fender.

I guess one way would be extending the roller a further to left or right side, should work I guess.
                  The other would be phonebook method, though never have tried it.
                  Don't want to fcuk up my fenders with baseball bat method .. Have done it before, didn't like it.

Thanks in advance !
                  I did the phonebook method, it really did the job on my front fenders (rears were already done professional).

Comment

• sometimes you never know your luck, lol.

Comment

• Hey, this thread has some amazing work on it, I was wondering if anyone could help me with a question..

I have a 4th gen Altima sedan and some 18x10 rims on it with +12 offset, but my rear tires are getting chewed up especially when I have people in the backseat. I have 350z shocks in the back and everything else is stock... I want to get airbags when I have the money and I really want to avoid camber because I can't afford tires all the time haha. The wheel sticks out about 2" right now and I have a slight 245 stretch on the tire. Is it possible to roll/pull that far? I want to avoid crazy body work, but I don't want my tires to get shredded and I eventually want to be able to bag it.
                      Last edited by Pakkasaur; 07-24-2014, 07:32 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pakkasaur View Post
                        Hey, this thread has some amazing work on it, I was wondering if anyone could help me with a question..

I have a 4th gen Altima sedan and some 18x10 rims on it with +12 offset, but my rear tires are getting chewed up especially when I have people in the backseat. I have 350z shocks in the back and everything else is stock... I want to get airbags when I have the money and I really want to avoid camber because I can't afford tires all the time haha. The wheel sticks out about 2" right now and I have a slight 245 stretch on the tire. Is it possible to roll/pull that far? I want to avoid crazy body work, but I don't want my tires to get shredded and I eventually want to be able to bag it.

Its crazy. i say this almost everyday to people when working on their cars. 9 out of 10 times its not camber that is chewing up your tires, its toe. you can run a good amount of camber without damaging the tires if you zero out the toe. trust me on this ( or research it for yourself ).

The secret to fitment is doing a little of everything; fender work, camber and stretch... not a whole lot of one thing.

your fitment will work if you do that, a two inch fender pull is not the answer.

Comment

• Been really lazy about taking pics of late... well more busy than lazy, but here are a few recent jobs.

A personal project, 20s on a 360 i've been playing with lately

A very nice FRS sponsored by SSR, static suspension, tailored the fenders to the wheels.

bit of a repair job this one, owner tried a little rolling himself ( or rather his tires did, lol ) . roll and pull. the car is static and slammed, the bumper has to be removed to enter even mild driveways like mine

another one of my cars, a 56 chevy going the pro touring route, roll and shave to fit 18s and 20s

another static FRS

yet another of my projects, 68 Impala, dropped on 18s and 20s, shaved and roll.

Last edited by Tonys18t; 08-12-2014, 06:40 PM.

Comment

• I'm one of the e36 guys who didn't get out the sealant before rolling...I wish I did have from when I had 9.5's on with a minor roll then just went further as I put on 18x10 then recently have added spacers in the rear and did a quick phonebook method on the rear.

I've been happy with the fronts since I originally rolled them..no need to touch them just the rears. The coupes seem to be so much easier then the sedans on pulling/rolling the rears. The tires have never been an issue still running 215/40/18 it's just the rims that have made contact with the fender and thats when I did my first phonebook method. I added more spacer (10mm) bringing me to (18x10 et15) a few weeks ago and before I left work grabbed the heat gun and the phonebook/magazines just to see if I could get a quick hair more room before the drive home. It seems like it pulled more in one area then the other and has kinda a flat spot might be hard to see I just took pictures of its dark out. Also sorry for the dirty plasti dipped car lol

I'm currently not rubbing anymore I just want to finish my fenders in the rear and wonder what the best way to go about it from here? The sedan just seems to always have fought me a little bit. I've got an eastwood and fender finisher I'm really familiar with the stuff I've used it and baseball bats back in the day but I've never been a body and paint guy. This is the first car I've just really worked them hard.

Sorry for any typo's or bad image hosting code....I'm rambling and tired I've got a 2yr old they keep ya going none stop but he loves cars so he'll be doing this someday
                            Instagram - @wesside

Comment

• O god major fail on the imageshack and pics that got turned sideways for some reason.
                              Instagram - @wesside

Comment

• Originally posted by Tonys18t View Post

e36 M3 roll and pull to fit 10.5s, owner should have it cambered by now for perfect fit.

Damn I was having a hard time fitting 10's when I first threw them on and this looks like less work
                                Instagram - @wesside

Comment

Working...
                                X