Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm hoping with some heat and an eastwood fender roller, I can get a quarter to a half inch of clearance here...

is that doable?
    1997 BMW 328i

Comment

• Originally posted by Yarberrymt View Post
      Say I stupidly rolled up the rear fenders on my e36 M3 WITHOUT first removing the black rubber weather sealant..... How would you go about pulling the lip back down to remove that junk, so I can re-roll them for more clearance??
      Originally posted by Tonys18t View Post
      Well, i wouldnt say i've worked on everything... but heres an E36 M3 i did recently ( roll and pull )

No easy way to unroll a fender i'm afraid
      i've had to do it a few times for people who have done the same thing. figure about an hour a side with a cold chisel and some vise grips... and a lot of care... and lots of cursing.
      black rubber weather sealant?
      is there something I need to remove before attempting this?
      1997 BMW 328i

Comment

• Originally posted by chapel View Post
        black rubber weather sealant?
        is there something I need to remove before attempting this?
        in the fender lip there is some weather sealant. you need to remove it before rolling the fenders so they roll evenly. put your finders in there and youll feel it

Comment

• and just chuck it afterwards?
          I never would have looked for that.
          1997 BMW 328i

Comment

and just chuck it afterwards?
            I never would have looked for that.
            yeah, use a wire wheel attached to a drill

Comment

• oh, it has to be ground out?
              1997 BMW 328i

Comment

oh, it has to be ground out?

Comment

• excellent, thanks. This is on E36s too?
                  1997 BMW 328i

Comment

• How much pressure is needed for pulling vs. rolling? In the videos I have been watching you can see the fender move during the roll, do you get the lip flattened and then add a little more pressure at come at it near parallel to the fender to get it pulled?

Also, is that the best way to fit any repairs in the fender? I have a small buckle in my CC fender. Sort of like this, in that it is in the middle of the flat section of the bumper.

Comment

• pulled the fenders...

cracked the paint on one side...

I'll get some touch up paint and glob it on. It's on the edge.
                      1997 BMW 328i

Comment

• do you know why you cracked it? did you not apply enough heat or apply to much pressure at once?

Comment

• It had a hairline crack on the edge when I started. I don't think any amount of heat would have helped. I had it at about 130 the whole time working with light pressure.
                          I think someone may have partially rolled them at some point too.
                          Only one side cracked. I'll sand it and spray some dark green on it. I'm not that bummed. This is a budget build anyway.
                          The cracks are all under the fender.
                          1997 BMW 328i

Comment

• Hey guys. Do you have any suggestions about rolling square fenders ? Planning to go wide on my 940 Volvo, you can google some pics if something is not understood.
                            Would love to see them rolled all around, not only in the middle of fender.

I guess one way would be extending the roller a further to left or right side, should work I guess.
                            The other would be phonebook method, though never have tried it.
                            Don't want to fcuk up my fenders with baseball bat method .. Have done it before, didn't like it.

Thanks in advance !
                            Last edited by Fetka; 04-27-2014, 02:08 AM.

Comment

• Just did my rear LS400 arches, got a good amount of extra clearance still with a relatively standard looking fender. The trim screw holes are assholes to deal with though

18x12J ET0, standard camber yet to max it out, no rubbing.

Tony have you tried putting a thin metal sheet behind where the screw holes are to give it more support and hopefully reduce the dimples? I didn't do it but thinking afterwards, that plus lots of heat might work...
                              Last edited by Anonymoose; 04-27-2014, 06:12 AM.

Comment

• I should mention, this stuff wasn't there. just dirt and rocks.
                                1997 BMW 328i

Comment

Working...
                                X