No announcement yet.

My 7 Month Love Story (Mk4 R32 Content)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 7 Month Love Story (Mk4 R32 Content)

Hi all,

I am relatively new to this forum, and as you may be able to guess from my username, I have (had, but we'll get to that) a 2004 Volkswagen R32.

This story begins in December of last year, when I graduated from Penn State University with a Bachelor's in Mechanical Engineering, with a job lined up as a vehicle engineer at the Ford Motor Company in Dearborn, MI. As a reward to myself for all of the years of poverty and strife of college, I decided to buy myself a big boy car, that would be as practical as it was fun to drive.

Throughout my time in school, my daily was a 2000 Honda Civic Si (purchased in 2012, still have).

IMG_20150624_201442

This car served me well in putting around town, going to car meets, and in general, travelling well above the speed limit. Despite it's high mileage, this car got me to and from h2o twice, as well as 2 internships that were 7 hours from Happy Valley. In fact, it ran flawlessly right up until I went to look at the R32 in January of this year, when it shut down on me just south of the PA/NY border. (cue trailer pic)

20160106_224308

The above pic is the product of a coffee filled rescue mission starting at 8pm in State College and ending well after 3am back safe in State.

So after sourcing a different means of transportation to go look at the R32, which had somehow not been sold at this point, I checked out the car, test drove it, and was instantly hooked. So the next weekend, after sorting my financials, I went back up to New York and bought the car.

Here is how she looked when I got her back to the Honda dealership I worked at part-time during school.

20160118_185428

20160118_185445

She had 109,000 miles, almost flawless paint and interior, and an extremely pleased new owner.

A couple weeks later, I moved to Dearborn, to start my new career. She made the 6 hours seem like nothing, cruising smoothly on the Ohio Turnpike, cooing an amazing exhaust note at a very reasonable 3200 RPM @ 80ish MPH.

First order of business was to visit the nearest VW dealership, to get an oil change and get to know the Service Department (Just in case, heaven forbid, anything happened to her). Having worked at a dealership previously, I can tell you that having a good relationship with the service writer and manager can make a huge difference in the cost of maintaining your car, should you choose to do so at a dealership.

20160129_105718

They were kind enough to hand wash the car for me after the oil change, which was extremely welcome with all of the salt on Michigan roads in February. Naturally, I took a picture with her little brother on the other side of the glass, a brand new Golf R.

And then she and I went back to our new home.

20160129_115358

That's the first part of this saga. Hopefully the pictures work, I am using Google Photo, because it syncs seamlessly with my phone. I may need to transfer to another photo hosting service. I also apologize for the photo quality, I don't have a proper camera, only my Samsung Note Edge

Stay tuned for part 2.

Pics can not be seen.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalin View Post
      Pics can not be seen.
      dang, I thought maybe I could get away with using Google Photos. I guess I'll bite the bullet and make a flickr account.

fixed! I think. I guess I had to embed them instead of just pasting the link into the attach image tool.

Penn State should add a course in proper forum use haha

Comment

Part 2 time.

For the next couple months, I was completely in love with this car. I mean, I took any chance I could to drive it, and I probably washed it at least twice a week (no brush, don't worry).

20160723_012411

Oh yeah, I also made a friend w/ a black one. And I will not lie, the feeling of owning one of these fantastic cars is exactly like this. A lot of people don't recognize the significance of the R32, but you know for sure that every guy in a GTI knows damn well that he wishes he had the extra dough for the R32/ Golf R. It's like an exclusive club, except everyone gets to enjoy it, whether you're part of the club or not.

FB_IMG_1462810584582-1

I mean, listen to that exhaust note. It's intoxicating, like a sweet nectar that you can't resist over consuming.

20160526_222855

Until you go to a euro-only show, like Motorstadt in Michigan, or H2O in OCMD, where you see a whole bunch of your R32 brethren, except they all have bags and sick wheels...

20160604_111558

20160604_111625

For the past couple months, my IG was full of pictures of my R32 at various Detroit locations, such as Comerica Park...

20160630_205738

Or the Michigan Central Station, otherwise known as the giant creepy building in Batman vs. Superman or Transformers, take your pick.

20160626_145625

20160626_145215

Or in front of a particularly perfect sign to go along w/ her.

20160522_142620

Then we had another blue monster of a car visit us. Surprisingly, GT350's are fairly common in the Dearborn/Detroit area. This particular one is a Ford test car that a buddy of mine was driving for the evening.

20160726_162905

That's it for part 2, hope you guys enjoy!

Comment

Welcome to the Detroit area! Come over to Windsor for some shows/meets if you get a chance.

Comment

Originally posted by btns44 View Post
            Welcome to the Detroit area! Come over to Windsor for some shows/meets if you get a chance.
            Thanks man! Nice Audi btw! I looked at your thread when I saw South of Detroit haha.

I have my enhanced license, but I just haven't made it across the bridge yet, I'd love to check out Canada since it's so dang close!

Cheers!

Comment

Ok here comes Part 3 of 3. I wish I could say that without some form of certainty, but alas, sometimes things don't go as planned.

This is one of the last times the car was in my driveway. It had rained that afternoon, and then the weather cleared up, and we had one of those strange twilight zone situations where it's like 9pm @ night, yet it is as bright as noon, and everything seems so still and surreal. So I took a picture of the R32 because the natural lighting was really bringing the pearl in the paint to life. Special guest appearance by my girlfriend's 2001 Forester (totally rust free and equipped with a 5 speed manual).

20160812_204147

And then a couple days later, I was out for an evening cruise with a good friend of mine when disaster struck.

We were approaching the a light when it changed from green to yellow to red, so I slowed to a stop. Several seconds later, before I could react, I heard the screeching of tires, and the loudest bang ever as I was thrown forward in the car, my glasses flying off of my face, and my forehead hitting that wonderful leather wrapped steering wheel.

I was totally shocked, I actually just sat in my seat, dazed and praying that I was just imagining what had just happened until the police arrived on the scene a minute or two later. When I got out of the car, in the middle of the busy street, I could finally see what had happened. The rear of my car was smashed in, and the front of the car that had hit me was scattered in pieces on the road, coolant flowing onto the asphalt, steam rising from the crumpled hood.

FB_IMG_1471290403426

Now, this isn't a dig on Subaru owners, because the cars are great. This owner, however, is a piece of scum. He was carelessly talking to the driver of the car beside him (another Subaru), not aware of me stopping for the light, until it was far too late. This particular Subaru owner, in fact, had just gotten his car back from the body shop that week, where it was being repaired from hitting someone else.

Clearly, this moron was not capable of driving Prius, let alone an ej207 swapped WRX wagon. Plus he goes to U of M, so let's be honest, he can't be that bright.

Here is another picture taken the night of the accident. The owner of the WRX in the foreground, and my poor, destroyed R32 in the background.

FB_IMG_1471290323881

At first glance, the damage didn't appear to be too bad, but after speaking w/ the body shop (2 weeks later, Progressive claims move at the speed of molasses), practically the entire body of the car is twisted. The roof is creased, the frame rails are collapsed, the door gaps on both sides are misaligned; the damages go on and on, resulting in my prized R32 being declared a total loss.

So, for now, my next steps are to continue battling with Progressive to get the proper value in return for my car (their initial estimate was 11.3k, anyone who knows anything about these cars will tell you that number is an insult), and to try to find a replacement car that will give me even a fraction of the joy that my R32 brought me every day.

The moral of this story is this: If you have a car that you REALLY care about, and is very valuable to you, don't drive it on Woodward Avenue in Detroit / Royal Oak. Also, try to get insurance that will insure based on an agreed value of the car, and that will do everything that they can to compensate you for your loss. In my experience, so far, Progressive is NOT that company.

So for now, that is all I have to share. Hopefully, I will have something Stance|Works worthy again soon. Thanks for reading.

Comment

Email me! cardorkswash@gmail.com. ASAP!
                Chasin Design | SoCalStanceShop | Wuste2011 Project Car
                ------------- Member Of A Eurocratic Society -------------

Wüste2011 The West Coast's LARGEST European Car Show!

Comment

That's such a shame=/ Hopefully they settle with you on a respectable price soon
                  95 318ti & 96 328is

Compact Build Thread

Follow me on instagram: earlmeyeriii

Comment

Damn sorry to hear that man, at least you're okay!

Originally posted by Stupid Kid
                    I need the weed in advance i can't ride my bmx across the ocean unless im high

Comment

Working...
                    X