Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's like driving a photoshopped Ferrari with splits and 6" lips...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I actually originally wanted Work Gnosis GS2 split five spokes and they were cheaper with a similar 10-week lead time from Japan. Since these have thinner and more taper to the spokes, I prefer them to the Works. Both would have been native ET-50 fitments. Neither have step lips though, but I'd guess the Work brand alone would lead to broader acceptance here. Still prefer what I have.

Now that I passed vehicle inspection and finally have plates and a registration, I'll space the rears out 25mm. Maybe that'll help, but fronts can't come out anymore, they're hitting door jambs at 2/3 crank. The way you can think about clearance is when you do snow angels on the ground, factory tolerances are like the swing around your elbows, but these are like the swing where the tips of your fingers are. The entire outer face is articulating about 4-5" forward or rearward at full crank. The stretched 215s on 9s let me space these out 20mm more than the X5 wheels,but it's all I've got.
    My first JDM project after decades of European cars!

Comment

One thing that would 'pull the car off' for me is side diffusers and maybe a different front lip setup. Maybe a liberty walk style spoiler too (http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/a...ine=1376451455).. I like the 5-spokes, a good homage to the stock 430 wheels.
      4 Cars, 0 Cupholders

Comment

I feel like the wheels fit the style of the car very well. Although, I can agree that step lips are awesome. Regardless, it looks rad.

Comment

Still working on the inside...

Comment

Originally posted by hi its me alec View Post
            One thing that would 'pull the car off' for me is side diffusers and maybe a different front lip setup. Maybe a liberty walk style spoiler too (http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/a...ine=1376451455).. I like the 5-spokes, a good homage to the stock 430 wheels.
            Agree. I'd like to find a different front lip.

Comment

Originally posted by exexpat View Post
              As I prefer to polarize people, I'm digging it and I like the wheels.
              that's what it's about

if it rocks your boat, then do it

i liked your previous projects better, but props for you for being different and following what you wanna do
              Floccinaucinihilipilification

Comment

Saw it at stancewars, and I wasn't so sure.

With the paint, and the new wheels I really love it.

Then again I don't understand the step lip obsession, so I'm def in the minority.
                1981 300TD 4 speed
                2000 BMW M5

Mike Finnelly
                , on Flickr
                IG @michaelfinnelly

Comment

As much as I like the new wheels, I am surprised to say that imho, it looked more "exotic" with the X5 wheels......
                  sigpic

Comment

I did spend many hours photoshopping wheels in order to decide on the X5 wheels. To me they looked like some McLaren would use as an OEM wheel. As some of you know, I keep my old wheel selection for a while, so when I get bored I can move from cartoonish lips back to OEMish look.

Comment

I like the deep, flat lip on this setup. A steplip would look ridiculous IMO on a lip that deep. I think it's perfect and fits so well with the layout of your car. The x5 wheels did look amazing on this though, haha but I still like the new wheels more! Your fake ferrari is cooler then any car i've owned. Plus the interior is so sick.
                      Instagram : @SHMVNY_GVNG

Comment

With fatter tires, I think those wheels would look a lot better. It also seems like it has close to none, or even positive camber?
                        '02 WRX | FLICKR.COM/AVIDWORKS

Comment

Camber is around -1.7 on all 4, but not a ton. I'm daily driving this car 40 miles per day.

Comment

Personally, I like it. Both sets of wheels look good on it, though I am biased to the X5s...

I'm looking and I honestly don't know what body wise is off on this thing. Parked next to an actual F430, what would stand out as different? I have only seen a handful of F430s so I am actually curious.

Comment

Originally posted by blurred View Post
                              Personally, I like it. Both sets of wheels look good on it, though I am biased to the X5s...

I'm looking and I honestly don't know what body wise is off on this thing. Parked next to an actual F430, what would stand out as different? I have only seen a handful of F430s so I am actually curious.
                              Other that the real F430 being way nicer?

The first sign on the Celica based cars is the A-pillar and square corners of the windshield. Then you'd look at rear quarter window seals, door length/jams (I think the Celica doors are longer), rain rails, under the hatch.

The dimensions of wheel base are almost identical. Celica is only 1/10" different than F430. The MR2-based kits are dead giveaways if they haven't been extended somehow, as the difference is like 5" shorter, but they at least have rear engine/RWD and add convertible option.

Comment

Any plans to make it go like an F430?

Comment

Working...
                                X