02 Pro5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 02 Pro5

Hey guys, new here. Well sort of, I've been lurking for a while but decided I should join.
    This Is my old car, a 02 Mazda Protege5. I'll do the beauty shots first so the scrollers see some pics before I show progress pictures:

So this was the first car I "built up", though it didnt start that way. I bought it because it was fun to drive, a good deal, and I needed a reliable car. I then proceeded to make it less reliable and less practical.
    I found this awesome site called Mazdas247 and learned how good these cars look dropped and fitted, some good inspiration found there. So cue wheels: Rota G-Force 17x8 +48

And then BC Coilovers:

IMG_0886

And that (among small things, badge delete, stereo, mazda 6 wiper etc) was good for a summer. But then winter came, and I needed something else to do.
    So I bought a probe some kid rear ended people in, a salvage title, and proceeded to take it apart.

IMG_0997
    IMG_1006
    IMG_1054

Took the motor apart and the transmission. Learned a lot that winter, and by spring I had installed an LSD in the trans, all new gaskets, timing belt, water pump, new vacuum lines thermostat etc. Everything except the headgaskets. Put a set of ebay header, and re-used the PO's ebay intake. XTD 6 puck clutch and lightweight flywheel. 6 puck was a bad idea, flywheel was the best mod I made.

and I painted some stuff black

designed and made my own tranny brace, apparently these G series trannies crack when they are launched hard. I wanted to go drag racing with a 6 puck, so I took no chances.

and then out

fix some stuff, swap some parts and wiring

and new motor in

no thanks to him, stealing my rags

and done.

before:

all in all the swap was done in a long weekend. I didn't manage to drive it to work on tuesday (to the dismay of my co-workers) due to a vacuum leak preventing it from idling.
    Spent a few months debugging, though it was almost nothing to do with the swap itself; most of my issues were dealing with vacuum routing and faulty parts the car came with.

I had a lot of people tell me not to do it. I had a few people surprised when I pulled it off. I had even more people surprised on the street. Managed a 15.1 @ 92 MPH in the 1420
    I learned a lot. I wouldn't do it again though, I would've just immediately started with a better platform.
    The funniest part is I parted the car out, but I still had the engine left over so I bought a 93 probe gt with a blown motor and threw the engine in there. It's now my daily. lolz.

Feel free to comment, questions all that, I could go on for hours regarding the swap, I still have the parts to do it, and the wiring knowledge.
    Last edited by Teeson1111; 08-16-2013, 07:54 PM.

87 RX7 5.0 (driftcar)

This is just awesome

Instagram:CHUBSTER_CRUZE

Comment

Nice! I have a 2002 Protege sedan.

That's a KL-ZE swap you did right?
      Instagram: lowtege

Comment

Originally posted by BurNs760 View Post
        This is just awesome
        Thanx!

Originally posted by fuhfuh.Focus View Post
        Nice! I have a 2002 Protege sedan.

That's a KL-ZE swap you did right?
        uh not quite. Its a KL-DE, the USDM version.

87 RX7 5.0 (driftcar)

Comment

damn looks like some awesome work. would like to see some different wheels though

IG: Nick475

Comment

Love the Protege 5, they're wicked fun to drive!

Renato
            Team TWM Performance
            TWMPerformance.com | TWMShiftKnobs.com | GodSaveTheManuals.com
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X