Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

STANCE|WORKS - An Open Discussion - Bagged or Static? Which is better?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've always had static cars, always preached the supremacy of it, the simplicity, etc, etc. As has been mentioned above, "static dedication" is something many aim for but few achieve, and for a decent amount of time at that.

That being said, my Volvo daily will be on air soon enough, due to its' simple suspension and how easily and cheaply I can assemble a setup. My Shelby is the track toy, so it'll get the no-holds-barred static suspension build, but it will be low and I have taken into account many factors that have an effect on performance at such low ride heights.

Of course, I do things everyone tells you not to do and make it work, so your experiences may vary.
    - Bagged '98 Chevy S10 - Stock '88 Volvo 240DL - Broken '87 Mitsubishi Starion ESi-R - Also Broken '87 Shelby Lancer #707/800 -

Comment

The answer is obvious - it depends entirely on the car
      4 Cars, 0 Cupholders

Comment

As said multiple times already in this thread, both have their place.

As far as bags go, for me it's about more than just convenience- without over using the cliche term that our cars are all about "form", in many cases, they are.
        Bags accentuate that to the fullest extent. You get the closest proximity to the wheel, and the ground, and, in my case, can conform your height to almost any setup (I've had meaty tires, stretched tires, 17 and 18's of all different widths, offsets, etc).
        To me, air bags allow you to give 100% of design, and visual concept that you're trying to convey.
        Dudes that are hammered on coils can do all of 97%, but at a great cost- easily messing up fenders, breaking stuff etc, and thus the convenience does play a factor.
        As a disclaimer, on talking about a car that is built for looking good, obviously the faster, and more "purpose" built your car is, the less perfectly framing your wheels in the wells becomes a priority, but I'm speaking in generalities.
        And also, I love coils. They provide great performance, are generally more badass, and have a great role in car modification.

TL;DR
        Bags make your car look the best it can.
        Last edited by Strawhat; 04-11-2013, 11:19 PM.
        Originally posted by electricalbox
        12 inches of goodness!

Comment

Being on coils for me atleast is somewhat of a thrill from time to time. The funny moments where you are in unfamiliar grounds and somewhat on the edge of your seat staring down at the road infront, aimlessly searching for the smallest imperfection in the road as to be able to calculate your next move so you do not damage anything haha.

It takes more effort and commitment to drive low on coilovers, not saying that it's less effort on bags because you can drive pretty low on bags too if you're setup for it, but it's easier for bagged cars since they can always air up when they are about to encounter some sort of trouble as for the static guys they have to bite their lip and deal with it. Coils also have a more connected feel to them, hard to explain but I'm sure most people get what I mean. It's a lot more work to setup your car how you want it on coils and in the end it's alot more satisfying then just adding or dumping air by way of button.

I can appreciate airride as I did have a bagged car myself, it's definitely alot of fun playing with switches and what not haha. But for me static is the way to go.
          I dislike Byron.

Comment

I think what everyone has said is fair, because everyone is different. For me, I love rolling static, and everything about it. I put no labels on myself.. for instance, I'm not modding my car to fit into a certain "genre" or "style".. the only style I mod in is myself. Static is apart of the direction/style that I'm going toward, but it's not a label in and of itself that I'll throw around to sum up my car.

For me, it's a constant challenge, or brain teaser. Constantly making me think "how can I go lower" "what wheel setup/offset/tire size/adapter specs do I need".. Suspension setup, tire pressures, weight balance, spring rates, body work, and any other custom work, all comes in to play. I've done some Go-Kart racing before, and I love racing, so driving low, static, daily, is a way to challenge myself driving on the streets. I know my limits, I know my car's limits, so I know how to drive it safely.

I'm gonna be honest, I have thought Air-ride is cheating, if I'm talking in the "dedication to driving/running always low".. now, that's not to say that when I see you, the owner of a bagged car, I'm gonna look down upon thee with a look of *Enter British Accent* GRREEAT shame.. no man, it's your car, you do you. Either way, both setups provide fantastic looking cars.

I do look at my scrapes on the underbody of my car as badges of honour, in the serious, and more of.. in jest.. type of way. That's not to say my car is a piece of shit, and I neglect it, because that is far the opposite. My friends **** the fact most of my money goes to my car, but fuck it.. I enjoy the damn thing!

And there's my opinion.
            -Alex

'97 DC4 - GS, Green on Old Man Tan. Low as poop, loud as Farooq

20140817_194828
            by Alexander D.24, on Flickr

Comment

I love seeing bagged leadsleds, but I am for sure a static guy.

If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right.

Your blast pipes look stupid.

Comment

Either or, doesn't matter. I do at times see bags as "cheeting" but either system comes with a cost,
                trunk room, driveability, maintenance.That being said my next car will be bagged.
                Last edited by Randomofodication; 04-12-2013, 07:30 PM.
                1999 SL2 Saturn Build rip
                1998 EK hatch Civic Build

Comment

We can argue all day about what's best for our personal applications because there is no right answer. But consider how many times you've had this thought:

"Holy shit. That car is so low. I hope it's bagged."

Lol never. Hence, static = better. It just gets the people going.

IG: @_olliee

Comment

It depends on the purpose of your car and how smart you
                    are. So that being said I think we can all agree that static is best.
                    Volvo Build Thread
                    Bmw Build Thread
                    Toyota Build Thread
                    zanebonk instagram
                    Tumblrrrr

Comment

Entirely depends on the car. For example, I have been entertaining thoughts about bagging my E36, but in the end ist just doesn't feel right to me. However, I'd love to bag my 7, but I probably won't due to cost and TÜV.

But, overall static is more impressive, when it comes to fitment. When you've got super tight fitment, with you wheels sitting only millimeters from the fenders and have managed to make it NOT rub, that is impressive and earns my respect. On the other hand, a good looking static setup that rubs is in my eyes just half assed work. If even I can manage it, so should other people. Like this: http://www.abload.de/img/fitment2xaew2.jpg That's my fitment wile rolling. Nothing rubs and the wheel can easily move upwards until the lip sits behind the fender.

On the other hand, there's lots of guys with bags doing half assed crap, too. These guys build their cars to look good while parked and drive somewhere around stock height... doong it wrong in my eyes.

'87 Porsche 944 S | Ex-E36 Touring (2009 - 2016) | Daily: '02 Chrysler Sebring

www.bastienbochmann.de | Tief & Breit

Comment

I love static and being low but my god sometimes when in areas of high speedhumps and crap roads I wish I could just flick a switch and drive safely without waiting on the scrapes and stuff.i dont diss anyone whatever they run as long as their car is on par and looking good where it needs to be.

Dont get me started on the rat look though.

Comment

wow so far no one has called anyone an idiot, lol

thanks guys
                          Air and Schmidts

Comment

I was an avid 'bags for fags', until I got the funds to do so. My E24 could never sit nicely on coilovers without ripping apart pieces of the car that would cost me far too much to replace. On a classic car, with parts not so easy to come by, I took the 'easy' option to save the car. It won't get trashed over speed bumps or being thrown into a corner too quickly and rubbing the arch. It still rides low, and looks even better parked up. Win win all round for me. If you can afford to, why not?

Comment

Glad to see everyone putting in their thoughts. Good stuff all around!
                              It'd be great to get you guys commenting on the article itself as well, there's some good discussion happening there too!

Comment

Originally posted by M.Burroughs View Post
                                Glad to see everyone putting in their thoughts. Good stuff all around!
                                It'd be great to get you guys commenting on the article itself as well, there's some good discussion happening there too!
                                Can you get the discussion working on the mobile site? Doesn't show on my iPhone.

Comment

Working...
                                X