The 80's are forever - Mark Crawfords R31 Skyline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 80's are forever - Mark Crawfords R31 Skyline

Many would agree that the 1980s is a decade with its own special place in history as the decade when everything went against the grain. The iconic boxy cars of the era are a quintessential part of automotive history and perfectly match the aesthetics of the time. The 80s were a time when technicolored drapes and cookware matched the absurd hairstyles and electro-disco music that filled the airwaves. It was an era that some wish to forget, yet many wish never ended.

Mark has had his fair share of R31 skylines over the years, a pleasure that majority of Americans will never have the chance to know. This particular one has gone through a few variations: Originally running on 5 cylinders, the RB25 NEO wasn’t very happy when Mark picked it up. After some dyno time and some work, it was happy and was daily driven for four years running various sets of 18x9 and 18x10 combos. Mostly Work wheels, with DH, FS and VX series to name a few. No matter how Mark tried, it never sat as low as he wanted it to, so he took appropriate measures.

After spending some time on Yahoo Japan auctions, he managed to find the wheels that would help him succeed in his quest to get the car down to the height he would be happy with. But, as is commonly the issue, Mark's newly acquired RSs weren’t exactly the specs that he was after, so after measuring everything up he ordered new lips and bolts from tunershop in Germany.

Mark wasted no time, assembling the wheels the same day his new parts arrived on his doorstep; nothing would stand in his way. Mark put aside his social life, sleep, and even his job to put the wheels together, but there are few better reasons to call in a sick-day. It’s one of those things "normal people" wouldn’t understand, but we do. The final specs came to 15x9 +0 with a 10mm spacer to clear the R33 brake upgrade, making them 15x9 et-10 up front and the rears 15x9.5 et-6.

Everything was coming together the way Mark had envisioned it. All that was left was a lower stance, so some new Emotion coil overs were thrown into the combination. Everything is period specific to the car, from the original velour seats, to the OEM tape deck. Serious effort and time were put into the interior to make it look as though it was factory perfect. It’s all the little nick-knacks to make it look as it did on the showroom floor that makes people take a step back in time.

Under the bonnet, Mark cleaned up the bay and added a high mount turbo manifold, and has since re-worked and re-tuned it to make just shy of 300hp at the rear treads on 11lbs. "Best of both worlds" I'd have to say. Why bother doing engine work on cars which are “un-driveable” to the rest of the community? Because we can. Simple, really.

There are a few more things on the list that will be done in time, but aesthetically it really doesn’t get much better than this. As Mark continues to keep his R31 on the streets, he's doing his duty to keep the 80s alive forever. As one of the greatest and most memorable generations in automotive history, we'd certainly say he's doing a perfect job.

Originally posted by anth
    Lucky they didn't come into your house and disrespect your whole family.

sickkk

Comment

Nice
      Dude... My nissan has like a v8, man.

Comment

Just amazing

IG: @_olliee

Comment

Perfection

Comment

Oh damn, the 80's did it right
            Real name is James

Comment

Wish more of these were around. Don't change a thing.

Comment

Wow, I love it !

Comment

awesome, the car is automatic?

wanna see some w the hazard lights on, reverse lights and brake lights all on at the same time!
                  91 DiamondSchwartzMetallic S52 Slicktop, 91 Calypso M42, 89 Royalblau M20, 84 Euro E30, M535, Euro e24, ap1

www.RenownUSA.com
                  ig @rudestance / @renownusa

Comment

thats pretty cool! definitely not a car you get to see everyday even with the internet at our fingertips!

Comment

i love the 80's & 90's!!

Comment

thanks all for the kind words! means a lot! and thanks oxer for the pics, they're awesome!
                        is it just my monitor thats showing them up out of ratio lol?

Comment

looks sweet, nice wheel choice!

how do you find the emotion coilovers? i've got them on my eBay watch list too haha
                          as you have a 31 i guess you are in the same boat as me with my E30 where you had to cut and weld onto the front spindle?

Comment

thanks mate!
                            I rate the coils, they're rad for adjustment, and the feel of them is unreal!
                            yep, your spot on, I welded the feet onto the front sleeves, (I actually welded import ones on and did a brake upgrade at the same time)

Comment

Wow!

Comment

Working...
                              X