emkayone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• emkayone

We found ourselves taking ownership of this car mainly by chance. Mentioned in passing my old man as “an old golf, the old woman has been keeping it for sentimental reasons, it’s been sat in the garage over 4 years, think it’s gold mate”… we soon got on the case and arranged to view.

This is a joint project between me and Dan, just something fun to fill our time in between other projects we have going on…

Here she is…

1983, 1.5GL, 2 owner, 73k miles, gold, a couple of things off the options list we think plus dents, dings, and more but she’s a charmer and that’s all that matters.

A price was agreed and without too much umming and ahhing we decided to give the old girl a new lease of life. Hooked her up to the 480 and off we went…

For a 27 year old car, she’s mechanically very good… a few years before being put away in the garage, a recon engine was fitted and it was always well looked after and maintained.

The same can’t be said for the bodywork, but she’s honest and straight, and the floorpan and sills are good for a mk1.

Once we got it back to mine we did a thorough service, new cambelt, water pump and a good going over to see what’s what.

The front washer bottle was a health hazard (if it wasn’t legionnaire’s, it must have been aids), all the interior plastics needed a good scrubbing, it had plenty of grime all over the steering wheel and dash plastics.

We discovered a rotten core plug, leaky radiator among other little niggles, so we put her back in the garage and the next batch of parts was ordered

Thanks grandma for the scene pipe

With my mk2 project not looking likely for Early Edition, we decided to get the mk1 ready in time for it, so we cracked on with the oily jobs and sat a little closer to the tarmac.

This is how she sat for about a week or so whilst we got the wheels ready and checked there were no coolant leaks etc, we were able to drive her into the garage for the first time

Joe the tea boy waiting for orders

Pictures of the retro goodness brown interior

So after a few more additions the fun stuff started to happen

Mini chassis notch to sort our rubbing driveshaft

Arch rolling

my RM’s built up with tyres, looking fresh

Specs are 7j and 7.5j with the rears spaced 10mm, 165/50 bridgestones all round.

The day before early edition… all was going to well until the exhaust decided to fall off so a quick trip Halfords (urgh) and we had ourselves a temporary repair

We (and the car) made it to Early Edition, with a few period touches; added the door protectors and a genuine 1980's IKEA roof rack.

Obligatory rollers

We both love the car even though it’s a little rough around the edges, so much fun just cruising around in it, and not having to obsess over the condition of the paint lol

Future plans include more lows, (more substantial chassis notch and more arch rolling), new exhaust and some boring bits like clutch and rocker cover gasket etc.

Thanks for looking

Aron & Dan
    Last edited by aron; 04-27-2011, 07:16 AM.

I always wanted to do a project with my best friend. Now i want it even more.

Nice project, guys
    Originally posted by Oxer
    I dont know why, but I love your car.. Its OEM cleanness makes me happy in the genitals.

Comment

nice lil project :thumbsup
      Floccinaucinihilipilification

Comment

Love it! Maybe I'm wierd, but I liked the way it looked better with the bumper removed.

Comment

MK.1s are awesome and this one is a really nice example

Comment

swwwwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

Comment

so cute, love it... really great work guys!

congrats!

flickr

Comment

Looking sweet so far guys,get some more pics up when all done
                Live,Breathe,Build,Believe,BMW!

Comment

Awesome. Love the wheels!

'87 Porsche 944 S | Ex-E36 Touring (2009 - 2016) | Daily: '02 Chrysler Sebring

www.bastienbochmann.de | Tief & Breit

Comment

nice mk1 project

Comment

Sweet retro goodness right there!

Comment

awesome old schoolness.
                        stanceworks: I don't really fit in.

Comment

You never told us what else was in the barn!

Nice find BTW

Originally posted by Zic
                          i think im gonna shoot my self soon. There are SO FREAKING many questions about the e36.

Comment

thanks for the comments chaps x

Comment

Lovely find - keep up the good work!

..wanna come do my moggy? ;D She's an old garage find too.

Originally posted by Jersh
                              RT changes lives.

Comment

Working...
                              X